Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/24/17 12:48 AM

I have eyelets piled up on my battery for the following:
-motor
-trolling motor
-depth finder
-bilge
-lights
-trickle charger

I just got a new depth finder and want to clean the wiring up first. Can someone tell me how to rig this up properly? Fuse panel? Bus bar?
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/24/17 01:34 AM

Bet that goes dead quick ...what kind of boat. But you are looking at adding batteries I can tell you now.
Posted By: JustinB

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/24/17 01:48 AM

Actually have the trolling motor on a separate battery but everything else is hooked up to the cranking battery.

Its a 20x72 flatbottom. No console. Tiller steer 60hp
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/24/17 03:48 AM

Academy sells different terminal bars that will work well for the extra stuff. Wire motor and a jumper to the battery then jumper to the terminal bars for positive and negative sides.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/24/17 02:09 PM

Multiple things you could do. Buy a fuse panel and wire everything to that except the motor. Make sure to use 6 gauge wire to the fuse panel.

If you only have a few things, you can get one of these terminals to wire directly to the battery

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ST-BLADE-BATTERY-TERMINAL-MOUNT-FUSE-BLOCK-KIT/1973646.uts?slotId=2
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/28/17 03:38 AM

Hop on a car audio site or amazon and look at distribution battery terminals. They will have multiple terminals for accessories, and you can continue to use the studs on the batt for the engine.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Too much [censored] hooked up to my battery - 10/28/17 08:04 PM

The proper way is to have two cables connected to a battery post, one to the moror if it's a starting battery and another to a distribution devise such as a fuse or breaker panel. Most factory setup use a 30A fuse and #20 wire to feed a console. That is adequate, since you are not going to feed more than 30A to a console. Anything bigger is overkill and the larger wire will require a larger fuse. The fuse should be as close to the battery as possible. It's purpose it to protect the wire, not what i's feeding.
I can always pick out a customer who knows nothing about wiring. There will be multiple wires and multiple colors gong to his battery. Having wiring like that not only makes it difficult to troubleshoot issues, it's just plain and simple sloppy work.
FWIW, ABYC only permits four connections per terminal and that includes battery posts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum