Texas Fishing Forum

Stick steering

Posted By: hung-up101

Stick steering - 10/06/17 05:25 PM

I have a SS ranger cherokee that i'm thinking about putting a hydraulic assist on. Has anyone here done that and if so how much easier did it improve the steering and do you think it was worth the cost.. Thanks
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Stick steering - 10/08/17 02:38 PM

I am not positive but thought stick steers were illegal now. Maybe not. They definitely aren't the safest option.
2cents
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Stick steering - 10/13/17 08:38 PM

If you are talking about replacing the cable steering that came with your original boat with hydraulic steering--do it. You will not regret it. The hydraulic steering wheel hub will fit into your existing hole, and the engine side mounts to the engine without issues. Just run two hydraulic hoses to connect the steering hub to the engine component-- fill with hydraulic fluid and you are ready to go. The only issue might be the cost--about $800-$1,000. I had Ranger put one on my boat before it became standard equipment for the Cherokee line. I liked it, and since it became standard the following model year on the Cherokee line, I think Range liked it also. It is easier to handle your boat, it does not torque off to one direction if you let go of the wheel(do not dare do this with a cable system), and if you should happen to hit a stump at idle or full speed--the wheel does not spin out of control. The lack of spinning upon hitting an obstacle may save a finger(s) or arm from injury. No negatives except for the cost. Boat racers prefer the cable system as they have a better feel for the water, but that is a totally different application and need.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Stick steering - 10/14/17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
I am not positive but thought stick steers were illegal now. Maybe not. They definitely aren't the safest option.
2cents

Stick steering and hydraulic steering are not the same.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Stick steering - 10/14/17 03:15 PM

http://www.boatstoreusa.com/steering/ezy-glide-hydra-stik-hydraulic-stick-steering-system-hs-2500/
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Stick steering - 10/15/17 01:21 PM

I stand corrected. I didn't know stick steers were available any longer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum