Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing throttle and control and wire

Posted By: plk1122

Replacing throttle and control and wire - 07/20/17 04:46 PM

How do you go about replacing your whole throttle control (with power trim in the handle) and new cables? I watched some youtube videos. It looks like something i can knock out on a Saturday (fairly easy).

You disconnect the old cables and pull them out, then reconnect the new ones, correct? (i think you tie a long string to the old cables to feed it through the boat so you can pull back in your new cables). Is there more too it?

How do you connect to the power trim? Is it just electronic connectors that go to the new switch?
Posted By: Ranger522

Re: Replacing throttle and control and wire - 07/20/17 10:09 PM

I just replaced a shift cable on my ranger. Definitely tie the new cables to the old ones and pull the old one out placing the new one in its place. Otherwise it would be a huge pain. I just taped them together with gorilla tape. Just make sure to be easy when pulling the old out and new in. It may snag on other stuff at times. My dad and I did it together. I would suggest having another set of hands to help with disassembling the throttle control and guiding the new cables in as you pull the old cables out. You could do it by yourself though.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Replacing throttle and control and wire - 07/20/17 11:24 PM

Plan for a whole day, get a new boot to cover the cables where they come out at the transom. Take before pictures showing where each cable or wire goes. Take your time. Oh, where long sleeves.
Posted By: Ranger522

Re: Replacing throttle and control and wire - 07/20/17 11:36 PM

Yes good idea on the pictures during disassembly. It was a pain putting everything back together on the throttle control.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum