Texas Fishing Forum

I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles.

Posted By: i-Fish

I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 11:40 AM

Looking at a boat that could use some upgrades so I'd love some good advice. Is a TM with spot lock a good substitute for power poles starting out or would you get power poles instead of or before getting a spot lock TM?

Secondly, I understand the difference between i-pilot and i-pilot link so aside from having to buy more stuff in order to use link to its fullest potential has anybody found it to be so game-changing compared to i-pilot that it's a must have? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 12:06 PM

Both. I-pilot for deep water. PP for shallow water. After all it's only money:)

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Both. I-pilot for deep water. PP for shallow water. After all it's only money:)

So, my question then is: if i-pilot holds me in deep water wouldn't it be just as useful holding me in shallow water? This is where I'm trying to find a good reason for both. Saves me about 4k. Lol
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 12:33 PM

While the new spot link is better, it still does not hold you to an exact spot. Foer shallow water, the power pole is still the best bet. It's only money.

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 03:30 PM

I wouldn't mind a whole lot having all of those upgrades but I may do it over a few months. So which would you recommend first?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 03:56 PM

I would go I pilot first. It can hold you in any depth whereas the power poles have depth limitations but will keep your boat from swaying back and forth if you get 2.

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
I would go I pilot first. It can hold you in any depth whereas the power poles have depth limitations but will keep your boat from swaying back and forth if you get 2.

Kind of what I was thinking. 2K to keep me roughly in the same spot whether shallow or deep until I wanna drop 4K to stick me in the mud. lol
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/06/17 11:16 PM

I have everything that you mentioned except I have a 12' talon instead of PP.

1. Buy the spotlock first. I used mine for close to 2 years before I added a talon. You'll use it more often than a PP and it will work in shallow water also, just not as well.

2. ipilot or ipilot link- Do you have Humminbird FF and does is have networking capabilities? If you only have one unit then you just need the cable. If you have multiple then you'll have to have the 5 port hub also. It is cheaper to buy a TM with the link head already installed than installing one later. It's not a game changer. What you will get out of it is you'll be able to control the TM from the FF screen like sending the boat to a waypoint. You will have the capability to save all your spotlocks and trails on your FF rather than the limited number that your TM will hold on it's own. You'll also be able to have it follow a contour line if you are using lakemaster card.

Remember, you can always add the PP one at a time. One is better than none.

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/07/17 02:23 AM

Thanks, Bobby! I don't have humminbird electronics so I'll probably just go with the i-pilot and save a few bucks there.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/07/17 03:32 AM

Yea, only compatible with humminbird. Ipilot will do just fine for you.
Posted By: CJ.Skeeter

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/07/17 04:02 AM

I found this thread very helpful as I am trying to decide if the extra money for the link is worth it. Does anybody have any input on the Bluetooth options on the newer models? Is it worth the extra dough for the Bluetooth?
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/07/17 12:33 PM

I just added an Ultrex to my boat and have dual power poles. To me the downside to the Ultrex shallow is it could turn and stir up the area I am fishing on spot lock. If it is shallow enough for my poles, they get first shot, over about 7 foot I would use the Ultrex. Just my early observations.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/07/17 12:55 PM

Some people claim that the I-pilot trolling motor constantly turning on and off in shallow water spooks the fish.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: I-pilot, i-pilot link & Power Poles. - 07/09/17 04:06 PM

I have the Ulterra on my center console and a Onix 10 at my console, they are linked together through I Pilot Link, with the Lake Master chip. With this combination there are several possibilities. One feature I especially like is "Follow the Contour". This feature allows you to follow a specific contour hands free at whatever speed you choose. If you like you can offset the contour so you can fish into it. Of course you can navigate multiple way points hands free as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum