Texas Fishing Forum

HDS Gen 2 Touch question??

Posted By: Fishbonz

HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 08:17 AM

I have a Lowrance HDS Gen 2 touch screen and when I`m running it in side scan mode the center line that divides the two sides is wider than I would expect it should be.I `ve seen screen shots of other HDS units on the forum that have a very thin Center Line compared to mine.Is there something I can do to correct this?
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 12:44 PM

It's all dependent on how deep the water is compared to the distance that you are trying to sidescan. Sounds like you are seeing this while scanning in fairly shallow water.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro
It's all dependent on how deep the water is compared to the distance that you are trying to sidescan. Sounds like you are seeing this while scanning in fairly shallow water.
BlueNitro I was in 15fow @ a range of 60f on both sides.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 03:56 PM

That is pretty shallow. I'd move out and see what it looks like.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Dayne
That is pretty shallow. I'd move out and see what it looks like.
Dayne are you suggesting I find deeper water or change range setting on the unit?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 05/31/17 09:46 PM

Deeper water
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/01/17 12:16 AM

Describe yours compared to these 2, is the band wider than my second pic? If yes, then you're getting a lot of turbulence from the bottom of the boat, jackplate, strake or motor.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/01/17 12:33 AM

It`s exactly like the second picture may be a little bit wider!How do I correct it or is this something I want an Expert to look at?

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/01/17 12:42 AM

Post a picture of the lss ducer and your transom (if you know how). The difference in my 2 pics is in pic1, the lss ducer is on my trolling motor. It gets clean water with no turbulence. The second pic is the lss on my jackplate, the wider band is from the turbulence because of the jackplate.

Most likely you will always have some kind of turbulence on yours unless you can find a way to get it into really clean water. Understand what I'm saying?

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/01/17 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Post a picture of the lss ducer and your transom (if you know how). The difference in my 2 pics is in pic1, the lss ducer is on my trolling motor. It gets clean water with no turbulence. The second pic is the lss on my jackplate, the wider band is from the turbulence because of the jackplate.

Most likely you will always have some kind of turbulence on yours unless you can find a way to get it into really clean water. Understand what I'm saying?
Mine is mounted to my Jack Plate

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/02/17 02:18 AM

If you are well versed in improvising then you might find a way to drop it down an inch or two and testing it again.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/02/17 02:45 AM

If you are well versed in improvising then you might find a way to drop it down an inch or two and testing it again.
You are speaking of the jackplate?

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/02/17 12:52 PM

Meant dropping the lss ducer a little bit more below the jackplate. I used a piece of galvanized angle iron to drop mine. There are brackets made that look prettier, but they are kind of expensive. Transducer shield & saver makes one if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 02:58 AM

I would like to see how you have yours attached.Could you take a photo shot?

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 03:55 AM

I'll have to take a pic of my current boat tomorrow evening (hopefully I won't forget), I sold my Skeeter and it was the one that I had to drop the lss ducer down on.

Let's talk about your images for a bit, how are they? Is your only concern the wide band at the waters level?

As I was looking though my pics trying to find one of my Skeeter setup, I saw this shot I had taken. Kind of cool to me, are you getting clean crisp images or are they blurry? Could also be dealing with a not so great transducer.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 05:52 AM

I'll have to take a pic of my current boat tomorrow evening (hopefully I won't forget), I sold my Skeeter and it was the one that I had to drop the lss ducer down on.

Let's talk about your images for a bit, how are they? Is your only concern the wide band at the waters level?

As I was looking though my pics trying to find one of my Skeeter setup, I saw this shot I had taken. Kind of cool to me, are you getting clean crisp images or are they blurry? Could also be dealing with a not so great transducer.

I have no problem with my images

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 01:09 PM

Yeah, pretty good pics. Those lines you are seeing in the water column on the screen are jackplate echoes. You could buy a holeshot plate to eliminate them or drop your ducer a little.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 08:27 PM

Yeah, pretty good pics. Those lines you are seeing in the water column on the screen are jackplate echoes. You could buy a holeshot plate to eliminate them or drop your ducer a little.
What is a hole shot plate? Is it the same as a finn because I have one of those thing already attached.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 08:53 PM

I think Grout is right. Those lines look to be caused by sonar ringing from your jackplate. Your returns are coming back from the bottom, entering the jackplate, bouncing back to the bottom, and returning to the transducer. It happens multiple times which is why there are many bands. When jackplate interference occurs, it is almost always on the side the transducer is mounted on. A holeshot plate attaches to the bottom of your jackplate to cover the hole on the bottom of it.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MAK747
I think Grout is right. Those lines look to be caused by sonar ringing from your jackplate. Your returns are coming back from the bottom, entering the jackplate, bouncing back to the bottom, and returning to the transducer. It happens multiple times which is why there are many bands. When jackplate interference occurs, it is almost always on the side the transducer is mounted on. A holeshot plate attaches to the bottom of your jackplate to cover the hole on the bottom of it.

thumb

If you can figure out a way to drop the ducer, it'll help.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/03/17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MAK747

thumb

If you can figure out a way to drop the ducer, it'll help.
Thanks guys thumb
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/04/17 05:41 PM

Fishbonz - let us know if you make any changes and how they affect the images. Very interesting topic.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/05/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
Fishbonz - let us know if you make any changes and how they affect the images. Very interesting topic.

Here's what happens when you have no turbulence/interference, look at the center of each pic. I should have posted these 2 the first time. Since they are of the exact same spot, at the same time.

Pic 1 was on my jackplate. You can see the sonar pinging with the lines in the center.

Pic 2 was from my trolling motor ducer. This gets clean water with no turbulence or interference.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/05/17 11:42 AM

Thanks MAK747 & grout-scout! DFW I will either try the holeshot plate or just reposition the transducer lower on the boat and post the difference.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/05/17 03:42 PM

May check out a mount from Transducer shield and saver, they have brackets, spacers and transducer shields that could help you stay mounted to the jackplate, but drop it down as afar as you would like and protect the transducer in the process, you can call those guys, give them the unit and the jackplate size/manufacturer and they can get you fixed up....just another option.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/05/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley
May check out a mount from Transducer shield and saver, they have brackets, spacers and transducer shields that could help you stay mounted to the jackplate, but drop it down as afar as you would like and protect the transducer in the process, you can call those guys, give them the unit and the jackplate size/manufacturer and they can get you fixed up....just another option.
Thanks ! I`ll take it under advisement.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/06/17 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley
Thanks ! I`ll take it under advisement.
Only thing is I haven't the slightest idea of what kind of jack plate I have. I don`t see any kind of Id on it.It`s not the fancy hydraulic type.I just have my LSS 2 ducer on the bottom. hmmm

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/06/17 03:25 PM

Hey grout-scout,Mak747 and the rest of you guru`s,I think before I spend the $$$ on the hole shot plate,i`ll try repositioning my Transducer a bit lower & closer to the step away from the jack plate.I`m thinking I`ll need some more hardware like stainless steel screws for mounting on the transom and some marine grade sealant for the application. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get these items?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/06/17 05:10 PM

Get a piece of 2" X 2" aluminum angle. Mount side to JP and transducer to bottom. That should give you about another inch of drop and solve your issue. Make sure transducer is level AS THE BOAT WOULD SIT IN THE WATER AT IDLE SPEED.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/06/17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Get a piece of 2" X 2" aluminum angle. Mount side to JP and transducer to bottom. That should give you about another inch of drop and solve your issue. Make sure transducer is level AS THE BOAT WOULD SIT IN THE WATER AT IDLE SPEED.

Yep, this is the cheapest option.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/18/17 06:32 PM

To all of you that were decent enough to give your insight... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!You were right ! It was the Jack Plate!! banana I move my transducer off the Jack Plate and to the right starboard side of the boat a little lower and the right side of the centerline cleared up.However I`m still getting a little echo on the left side of the centerline and that`s gotta be the Jackplate.I`m thinking it`s because of the length of my Transducer.The Gen 2 transducer is 10" long and just seems to find that JP.I have a Gen 1 transducer that`s shorter and it will fit underneath the step of my boat and a lot lower. I just don`t know if the two are interchangeable. Will my Gen 1 transducer work with my Gen 2 HDS 12?

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/19/17 02:48 AM

Are you kidding me!/ 1076 views and not one reply OMG

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/19/17 04:02 AM

Im out of town with bad phone service. Yes the lss1 is interchangeable with the lss2, not positive it will avoid the inference though.

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/19/17 12:37 PM

It will be practically underneath the boat near the drain gs. I think it will work! I`ll take some shots and post the results. Thanks for responding thumb
Posted By: Diesel Doctor

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/26/17 10:37 PM

I have to trim up to get a good return. Just a little, like your in shallow water. It made mine look much better.

Try running about 5-10 MPH and shut the big motor off and look.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: HDS Gen 2 Touch question?? - 06/27/17 08:12 PM

Do you have trim tabs in your boat?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum