Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Motor and Bird Interference

Posted By: Basszilla

Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/11/13 04:48 AM

Im getting interference on my 998 dash mounted unit when using my 101 Minn Kota trolling motor. Any suggestions?
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/11/13 01:23 PM

This is a very common problem that has been discussed many times on here. Do a search for 'interference' and you'll find a lot of good information. It is not a simple fix and you'll doubtless need to try many different changes but, with luck, you can eliminate it.
Good luck in your search.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/12/13 03:56 PM

free ferrite ring from humminbird. call them. also no graphs and trolling motors on same batteries. all graphs to starting battery or seperate battery.
Posted By: Doug Vahrenberg

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/16/13 03:14 AM

Call HB Customer Service 800-633-1468 they are the best to work with if you are one of the unfortunate few that get RF noise interference.
Posted By: HBirdDeborahCrC

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/16/13 06:57 PM

Please review the below FAQ on Trolling Motor Interference

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849
Posted By: 124Donnie

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/22/13 02:25 PM

I tryed everything hb told me and anyone else who would help with no resolve. Went back to lowrance and the problem is solved
Posted By: one-3lb-er

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/22/13 07:09 PM

Good Luck, you will need it.

Waiting on HB Ferrite rings, hopefully they will be in today, ordered a new Tranducer (just in case I have a "nick" in the cable. I have ever FIX the GURU's have come up with.

My next fix is going to move my Tackle Box to the left side of the boat. will let you know if that works.
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Trolling Motor and Bird Interference - 05/23/13 10:38 AM

I also tried everything in the book without success. I even bought a riding mower battery to run my bow mount unit and that didn't even help. Finally, I ran 12 ga wire from the bow unit back to the cranking battery and it solved my problem. Could be all the other things I had done were needed in addition to the new wiring but, I'd suggest giving it a try if you havn't already. And I'm not sure if it makes a difference but, I think you need to run the new wire as if it's a permanent fix. In other words don't just run it over the boat, it needs to be where it will live in case there is something in the gunnels or under the deck that is introducing the problem.
You just have to keep trying till you find something that works on your boat.

On a side note, if you ever wondered about the little CE mark found on just about everything electronic you own it is proof that product will not create interference nor will it be affected by interference dictated by the European Union. Without the seal, you cannot sell a product in an EU country. We do not require it here in the USA but, any product designed to be sold in the EU and meets their criteria puts it on all their products so we see it here too. And you would be amazed at what it takes and costs for a company to ensure there products meet the EU requirements and earn the seal. FYI
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum