Texas Fishing Forum

Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat...

Posted By: Chad711

Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 03:00 PM

I forgot to unplug the boat Saturday before leaving and the ground connector on the boat plug broke off. Do I need to replace this plug?

I plugged it in just to see if it would still work and it was charging all batteries still. Just not sure if this is a safety hazard. The power cord it's plugged into still has ground connected at the power source.

Any electricians here that could let me know? Thanks!

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 03:08 PM

heck, its all good if it's still working.

Posted By: fordnut

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 03:12 PM

It's a safety hazzard more than anything. You can use the plug without it but if something goes wrong scared For instance my on board charger has something shorting internally in it after it's been charging the batts for about thirty minutes it will trip my GFI breaker goint to the shop. I would hate to have had seen what would happen without a ground fault breaker if you know what I mean.

Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 03:13 PM

Is it the.one.mounted to the boat or just the plug on the cord goin to the charger? If its the one thats mounted flush.on the boat its pretty easy to replace id buy a new one.

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 04:01 PM

It's the plug that is coming from the 4 bank charger. I'm trying to decide if I should just cut the plug and rewire a new one with some electical tape or just replace the whole wiring up to the bank charger. I just didn't want to deal with feeding it back up to where it goes.

On my boat the plug is feed up to the drivers seat console area, near the throttle.

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: 97fordnut
It's a safety hazzard more than anything. You can use the plug without it but if something goes wrong scared For instance my on board charger has something shorting internally in it after it's been charging the batts for about thirty minutes it will trip my GFI breaker goint to the shop. I would hate to have had seen what would happen without a ground fault breaker if you know what I mean.

Ok that makes sense and that was the part I wasn't sure on. I'll change it out. No point in the risk

Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 04:25 PM

I would think if you have room to put a butt splice on and shrink wrap it them put tape over it just to protect it, if you have room this will hold the water out

Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Broke off the ground connector on my plug for charging boat... - 10/17/11 07:49 PM

Replace the plug, it is a safety feature. No sense in taking a chance of the charger shorting out and you becoming the link to ground. You can get quality clamp on replacement plugs that are neat, strong, and don't require any messy electrical tape.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum