Texas Fishing Forum

Another waypoint question

Posted By: Skeeter50

Another waypoint question - 11/11/09 11:52 PM

Say you have 1,000 waypoints on eight or ten different lakes saved on a memory card, is it possible to only load the waypoints for one lake only that you want to fish next weekend or do you have to load all of them at the same time?

Can you save waypoints and trails, etc as say "Toledo" and when you want to fish there you only load the "Toledo" file?

Am I making any sense? flag
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 12:15 AM

all depends on how u saved them. did u save them under one wpt file or did u make several wpt files under lakes u fish.

save your file on SD card

if only save your wpts under one file name yes it going transfer all and mean all wpts to that new unit. or you could plug them into your new unit one by one for that lake and then save it. example toledo. then detele all wpts from your unit and start over again for another lake like ray burn, repeat this for every lake u fish.

example. lake fork. i delete all the wpts in my unit. then all load the lake fork file wpts into the unit. then lets say you add few wpts on that trip. then u resave your wpts under that name. then once u do that delete the wpts from your unit. repeat this process everytime u go fishing. either same lake or different lake. (this called wpt mgt.)

its kinda confusing at first, but once u do it few time its easy.

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 12:31 AM

Thanks Medic, right now they are all on one file so I have some work to do but not much as I don't have that many but ..... how do you save them with different file names on the same SD card? Does the unit prompt you for that like a regular computer does?

Do you use a different SD card for each lake?
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 01:12 AM

no, i just get a 1 gig sd card.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 02:35 AM

I fish 6 lakes and do basically like medic.

I have a file for each lake with wpts, routes, icons and trails saved. When I change lakes I save the file to a card. It saves as a user file. I take the card to my computer and load the file onto Mapcreate 7. Then I change the file name and save it back to the card and save it 2 other places on my hard drive in my computer. That gives me at least 3 copies.

When I am sure all is well then I go to my head units and delete all the info so it is ready for the next trip. However, I don't delete the head info if I am fishing the same lake the next time out.

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 02:47 AM

Okay, when you insert the SD card and it says "Load or Save" and you select "save" it saves from your unit to the card, does it then give you an option to "save file as" or????

I sure appreciate the help here.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 04:00 AM

I have the same question. I have to put mine back on another graph.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Another waypoint question - 11/12/09 10:22 AM

When you save it to the card it just saves everything in the head as a user file.

That is why I take it to the puter, change it's name and have it ready to load. When I load the head unit will allow me to select the file by name and load the one I need for the trip.

If you are good enough with a computer, you can do the saving and renaming without having any special software. All you'll need is a card reader if one is not built into your computer.

I personally like MC7 so I can put the stuff on a map and have a look at it. Plus I can use the map to plan trips and plot wpts etc on the map then put them in my lake file.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum