Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Line

Posted By: Corndogsticks

Fishing Line - 05/25/23 08:17 PM

How long is line good for? I was cleaning the garage and found a few spools of Berkley Big Game. I know it is at least 4 years old. Is it still ok to use?
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Fishing Line - 05/26/23 03:54 AM

I think it most likely would be fine, but me; I ask myself do I really want to trust a possibility of a once in a life fish on some old mono I found in the garage lol... Me it would go to the recycling bin. That's my thoughts about it.
Posted By: Corndogsticks

Re: Fishing Line - 05/27/23 02:24 AM

That is a good point. Not really worth the risk.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Fishing Line - 05/27/23 08:30 AM

It's not really in my opinion anyway.
Posted By: Jeeper92

Re: Fishing Line - 06/22/23 08:46 PM

Maybe use it as backing line.
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Fishing Line - 06/22/23 08:55 PM

Considering the Academy H2O Express mono line is low priced. There's no reason to temp it. I guess you could test it by a dead weight lift.

Otherwise, I also vote to use it as backing. That's what I do with my old spool of mono. It's also way older then 4 years. I'm guessing 2010 vintage. It's still going strong but new line is worth the peace of mind.
Posted By: Micheal

Re: Fishing Line - 06/23/23 01:31 PM

Sunlight and high heat is the reason most mono lines go bad. I have some Excalibur co-polymer that is at least 25years old that I still use. It has been stored in my shop all this time. I have never had a problem with it. I would put it in a line test against any new line out there. The reason for it's age is I was on their staff my moons ago and had gotten a ton of it in various line strengths. I used it all this time while guiding and traveling the tour route. It has never let me down. Excalibur was the old Silver Thread. I still have some and use it now when I go chasing Bull Reds.
I have found that if it you pull it through you fingers and get a white residue the line is most likely bad.
All that being said this is just my experience.
Posted By: cajuncountryman

Re: Fishing Line - 07/24/23 12:15 PM

Micheal- I used to sell Excalibur Silver Thread line- it was the best line I had ever used. If you ever want to sell a few spools let me know. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum