Texas Fishing Forum

Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery

Posted By: ksalmon

Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 02:08 AM

Recommendations for which Ionic lithium battery for the starting motor? Older boat with a 150 horse motor and running two small fish finders/depth finders only.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 02:16 AM

If you don't plan on upgrading electronics the 100a would work just fine but for $90 more get the 125a. I'm running 4 12" graphs and livescope and haven't been able to get it below 60% in an 8 hour day of fishing.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 10:14 AM

the only one they have that will start your engine is the 125ah, it's a dual purpose, the rest are deep cycle only.

asked drewcraft as I plan on upgrading soon.

https://drewcraft.com/product/125ah-12v-ionic-lithium-battery/
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
the only one they have that will start your engine is the 125ah, it's a dual purpose, the rest are deep cycle only.

If this is true, then they changed their stance on it fairly recently. They have always said the 100 and 125 were cranking compatible.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

If this is true, then they changed their stance on it fairly recently. They have always said the 100 and 125 were cranking compatible.

Wasn't aware of that. A few months back when I bought mine they had the 100a listed as a dual purpose. Good to know.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 01:36 PM

I looked Drew’s sight over, sure enough, nothing mentioned about the 100 being cranking anymore. Makes me wonder what changed. I always figured it was better to go with the 125 anyways for the price difference.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I looked Drew’s sight over, sure enough, nothing mentioned about the 100 being cranking anymore. Makes me wonder what changed. I always figured it was better to go with the 125 anyways for the price difference.

this is the email I got

Absolutely we have a 10ah and 125ah dual purpose deep cycle that works with 2 and 4 stroke up to 300hp

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 2:47 PM
To: andy@drew-tek.com
Subject: From Contact Drewcraft
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ksalmon
Recommendations for which Ionic lithium battery for the starting motor? Older boat with a 150 horse motor and running two small fish finders/depth finders only.

If it's a Mercury motor, they do not recommend using a lithium battery as a starter battery.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by BThomas

If it's a Mercury motor, they do not recommend using a lithium battery as a starter battery.

they say the 125ah has compatible circuitry for yamaha and mercs. my current is a 95 200 xri/efi and they say it works well.

This is a Dual Purpose Cranking / Deep Cycle Battery
Comparable to 900 cranking amps
This battery can be used as a starter battery for 250 hp Yamaha or Mercury motors
Battery Management Systems (BMS) with power terminal cut-off and recovery
Ionic batteries have proprietary software embedded in the BMS to make our batteries 100% compatible with Yamaha or Mercury motors
70% lighter than lead acid batteries
Two to four times the service life (3000-5000 cycles)
Great for marine, RV, floor sweepers, lift gates, UPS systems, solar energy storage
Cell balancing and low voltage/over voltage protection, short-circuit protection
Bluetooth technology to monitor battery status
Maximize your energy potential with 99% Depth of Discharge (DOD)
Drop in replacements (plug and play)
Run as many needed in parallel
Can go up to 4 in series with this battery
Comes with an 11 Year Battery Warranty to give you peace of mind with your purchase.
Compatible with the following chargers: Ionic, Noco Gen Pro, Dual Pro PS/ Auto, Minnkota Precision, Pro Mariner/Pro Tournament Elite, Stealth, Troll Bridge DC, Power Pole.

soon as I pay off the 3 50ah this is my next one.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by BThomas

they say the 125ah has compatible circuitry for yamaha and mercs. my current is a 95 200 xri/efi and they say it works well.

This is a Dual Purpose Cranking / Deep Cycle Battery
Comparable to 900 cranking amps
This battery can be used as a starter battery for 250 hp Yamaha or Mercury motors
Battery Management Systems (BMS) with power terminal cut-off and recovery
Ionic batteries have proprietary software embedded in the BMS to make our batteries 100% compatible with Yamaha or Mercury motors
70% lighter than lead acid batteries
Two to four times the service life (3000-5000 cycles)
Great for marine, RV, floor sweepers, lift gates, UPS systems, solar energy storage
Cell balancing and low voltage/over voltage protection, short-circuit protection
Bluetooth technology to monitor battery status
Maximize your energy potential with 99% Depth of Discharge (DOD)
Drop in replacements (plug and play)
Run as many needed in parallel
Can go up to 4 in series with this battery
Comes with an 11 Year Battery Warranty to give you peace of mind with your purchase.
Compatible with the following chargers: Ionic, Noco Gen Pro, Dual Pro PS/ Auto, Minnkota Precision, Pro Mariner/Pro Tournament Elite, Stealth, Troll Bridge DC, Power Pole.

soon as I pay off the 3 50ah this is my next one.

Myself and a friend each have a 125a Ionic on our late model Yamaha SHO 250's without issues. Have two other friends with 125's on their Mercs. Ones a new V8 model 250 and the other is an Opti 250. Neither have had any issues.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/15/22 11:14 PM

good info, I've been wanting to replace my cranking battery with one but wasn't sure about running it on my 99 Opti 225. Already have lithium for my trolling motor and a Noco lithium compatible charger....

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 03/16/22 02:58 AM

[Linked Image]

For all those that think it voids your warranty. Also WRM is installing them on new Rangers, Tritons, and Nitro’s
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 06/10/23 08:22 PM

I decided to go with a lithium for cranking this go around, and I already run ionic so I bought their cranking option. Does anyone with one of these cranking batteries have a picture they can send me of the labels? Mine came in today and it looks exactly my other 125 non cranking battery. Same numbers, same markings, etc. I am hoping to verify I received the correct battery before heading to the water tomorrow.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 06/10/23 10:00 PM

All ionic 125’s are the same, they all are able to crank, even your older one. They used to say the 100’s were too, but I don’t know if they changed them.
Posted By: Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 06/11/23 12:29 AM

Mercury has just authorized/certified the Relion RB-100-HP for Pro XS cranking ability It is an Iron Phosphate Lithium Battery, I just ordered one as this battery can discharge to 20% so you get a lot of hours for running Electronics besides the starting capability, The Oddessy I had was the same size but as would only be used down to 50% discharge so the AH was half of this Relion Battery. If this works as advertised no need for a 5th battery, Time will Tell.

Re: Ionic Lithium Cranking/Starting Battery - 06/11/23 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S
Mercury has just authorized/certified the Relion RB-100-HP for Pro SX cranking ability It is an Iron Phosphate Lithium Battery, I just ordered one as this battery can discharge to 20% so you get a lot of hours for running Electronics besides the starting capability, The Oddessy I had was the same size but as would only be used down to 50% discharge so the AH was half of this Relion Battery. If this works as advertised no need for a 5th battery, Time will Tell.

Brunswick owns Mercury and ReLion. What a surprise
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum