Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco

Posted By: learnin to fish

Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/04/22 03:52 PM

I called a couple of the dealers and they are 2-3 weeks out on service. Do any of you have a good Yamaha dealer to do warranty work on my Yamaha motor? I don’t mind driving 60 miles or so to get the work done. I hate to have a boat sit for 2-3 weeks before they even look at it.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/05/22 10:38 AM

Blackbeard Marine
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/05/22 01:29 PM

Texas Boat World in Harker Heights. Short drive from Waco.
https://www.texasboatworld.com/
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/05/22 04:49 PM

What kind of warranty do you need?

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/06/22 12:48 AM

I have a 1.5 year old Yamaha SHO 250 that is getting gas in the oil or making oil as you would call it. Took it to the local dealer today and got the same as I got last time I called a different dealer about it. Change the oil and drive the heck out of it. “You aren’t driving it hard enough” is what two dealers have told me. I changed the oil and filter today again and will monitor closely to document what is happening and try to gauge how much the oil level is rising. The oil level was a couple inches over full when I drained it today. Not good IMO. I set the level 1/2 way between the marks on the dipstick today. I only have 109 hours on it and this is the 3rd oil change. Changed it at about 20 hours then at about 60-70ish hours as oil was really black and high on the stick. I hooked up my motor to my Lowrance graph so now I know the exact hours.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/06/22 01:30 AM

Question, what rpm's is it reaching as its propped now? If it isn't reaching at least 6000 then you are over propped and that is contributing to the making oil problem. Sad to say its a problem on some motors. To correct it have it propped correctly and run it hard for 20-30 minutes. Do that 2-3 times and it should stop.

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/06/22 01:47 AM

I have never run it to 6,000 RPM. I have been running it at 5,200 - 5,400 and have throttle left. I had been not getting it over 5,000 RPM until I went with a guide this fall that had a SHO and he ran his 5,500 - 6,000. Honestly I have never been educated on the proper RPM’s to run that motor. I followed the owners manual on the break in to the T.

At 5,400 RMP the boat goes 42MPH.

I’ll try running it hard every time I go out if the water is smooth enough to allow it. I can put in at a different ramp that will allow me a 30 minute or longer run.

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/07/22 06:43 PM

The boat dealer where I bought my boat, texted me some updates this morning. They said Yamaha had a new service bulletin out this week that says you need 60-70 hours above 3,000 RMP to seat the rings with the newer style piston cylinders. The bulletin also said idling is also considered heavy use and to change the oil more often the more you idle you boat engine.

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/07/22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish
The boat dealer where I bought my boat, texted me some updates this morning. They said Yamaha had a new service bulletin out this week that says you need 60-70 hours above 3,000 RMP to seat the rings with the newer style piston cylinders. The bulletin also said idling is also considered heavy use and to change the oil more often the more you idle you boat engine.

Newer style piston cylinders? hmmm

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/08/22 02:17 AM

Plasma bore cylinders

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/08/22 02:26 AM

Plasma bore cylinders

Been that way since the SHO made its debut. Nothing new.

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/08/22 02:58 AM

thumb
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/11/22 09:20 PM

If your using the 5-30 synthetic, kick it up to the 10-30 weight oil until you get the rings seated.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 01/12/22 04:37 PM

I have a 1.5 year old Yamaha SHO 250 that is getting gas in the oil or making oil as you would call it. Took it to the local dealer today and got the same as I got last time I called a different dealer about it. Change the oil and drive the heck out of it. “You aren’t driving it hard enough” is what two dealers have told me. I changed the oil and filter today again and will monitor closely to document what is happening and try to gauge how much the oil level is rising. The oil level was a couple inches over full when I drained it today. Not good IMO. I set the level 1/2 way between the marks on the dipstick today. I only have 109 hours on it and this is the 3rd oil change. Changed it at about 20 hours then at about 60-70ish hours as oil was really black and high on the stick. I hooked up my motor to my Lowrance graph so now I know the exact hours.

[Linked Image]

This motor didn't get broken in correctly

Re: Yamaha Warranty Work - Waco - 05/15/22 08:41 PM

Called Yamaha and they recommended I call Texas Boat World in Harker Heights. Talked to the Yamaha Master mechanic there. He recommended I tuck the motor all the way down/under the boat and run it wide open throttle for 25 gallons of gas. I did that about 6 weeks ago. Been out a couple times since, checked the oil yesterday after going out and it appears the motor has stopped making oil.

I’ll keep you posted but looks like the problem has been solved.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum