Texas Fishing Forum

Buffing out oxidation

Posted By: IKELEVI

Buffing out oxidation - 09/04/21 11:33 PM

I'm trying to get back that glossy shine and not sure what to use. I used some light to medium oxidation remover and it got alot of it off and can see a reflection but it's not glossy. I'm not sure what to use, and don't want to damage gel coat. Does anyone have a product to recommend for heavier oxidation I guess? I have a round orbital buffer.

Attached picture 20210904_141316.jpg
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Buffing out oxidation - 09/05/21 01:46 AM

3M Perfect-It for gel coat, you can get a light, medium or heavy cutting formulation depending on the level of oxidation. I did my old boat a couple years ago and it did an amazing job. Just follow the instructions and buy the products it recommends. I bought the heavy compound and the wax. Looked like new after a couple hours of work. Buy a good multiple speed buffer.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Buffing out oxidation - 09/07/21 09:00 AM

depending on how heavy you may need to wet sand it first, labor intensive but worth it.

the 3m products are good stuff, you can also try rubbing compound then polishing compound then scratch and swirl remover all from turtle wax. wal mart, auto parts so it is easy to get.
I use water with the buffer, light mist is all.

this is the best stuff on the planet for maintaining the shine once you get it back, they also have a restoration kit that works great on med or light oxidation.

https://protecproducts.com/all-products.html

at least get some of the sealant polish for keeping it shiny, stuff works great.
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Buffing out oxidation - 09/11/21 08:44 PM

What would you use on a new boat to keep the shine? Between waxings? I wax mine 3-4 times a year.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Buffing out oxidation - 09/12/21 01:02 AM

the pro tec, best stuff I have ever used. wipe on, wipe off, polish with a micro fiber towel if ya want but it shines good without it.
Posted By: IKELEVI

Re: Buffing out oxidation - 09/12/21 02:09 AM

Thank you everyone. Appreciate the input!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum