Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Motor Batteries

Posted By: Basstwister

Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/27/21 05:19 PM

Guys

I am in need of 2 Trolling batteries, What are the best for the money with out braking the bank?

Thank for you input
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/27/21 08:20 PM

Flooded cells will probably cost you the least amount though they require more care and maintenance than other types. I’ve used a lot of brands. I am running Pro Guide AGMs now and am very satisfied. The only ones that haven’t lasted well for me are Interstates.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/27/21 09:55 PM

The big ol group 31 lead acid deep cycles from ORiellys at $89ea is hard to beat.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/27/21 11:37 PM

Hard to beat Walmart’s $99 for the 2 year warranty and ease of finding stores for replacement, should the need arise.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 01:06 PM

Thanks guys,

I will check out all of these options!

Fish on
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 02:13 PM

Group 31 Deka AGM
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Group 31 Deka AGM

Sam’s Club Duracell AGM is a Deka AGM for a lot less.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 07:09 PM

I’m running three of the Sams Duracell AGM 27’s two banked for the Ultrex 80 and one for everything else. Loving them. Minnkota 3 bank charger. 5 hours on spot lock and ready to roll again in just a couple hours on charge. No issues!
Posted By: WattoFish

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 07:40 PM

I need to replace all 4 of my flooded Interstate batteries that I acquired in the purchase of my 2018 ZX225....at least 3 of them shot after the recent heat.

Definitely going to an AGM set up on all of them (TM (x3) and cranking/electronics (x1)

The Sam's Duracell's sure do get a lot of positive reviews and the price point is reaonsable.

Which specific group in the Duracell AGM would be ideal for the TM and which group for the cranking/electronics?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by WattoFish
I need to replace all 4 of my flooded Interstate batteries that I acquired in the purchase of my 2018 ZX225....at least 3 of them shot after the recent heat.

Definitely going to an AGM set up on all of them (TM (x3) and cranking/electronics (x1)

The Sam's Duracell's sure do get a lot of positive reviews and the price point is reaonsable.

Which specific group in the Duracell AGM would be ideal for the TM and which group for the cranking/electronics?

AGM’s are dual purpose. They work great as a cranking battery

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 09:49 PM

That depends on your electronics. A lot of the new hd models eat batteries for breakfast. If you have large ones the Batteries + X2 may be what you need. I’ve had to go to it.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/28/21 11:01 PM

As of right now I'm only running 12" Lowrance graphs (bow and console). I don't tournament fish, so longevity/duration isn't a concern for me.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/29/21 02:11 AM

As of right now I'm only running 12" Lowrance graphs (bow and console). I don't tournament fish, so longevity/duration isn't a concern for me.

I was running Lowrance 2 hds 9s and an hds 12. They killed an Optima blue top in one year. It was replaced and they killed another one in a year. I replaced it with an Interstate. They killed it in a year. So I bit the bullet and bought the X2. Problem solved.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 08/29/21 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dayne

I was running Lowrance 2 hds 9s and an hds 12. They killed an Optima blue top in one year. It was replaced and they killed another one in a year. I replaced it with an Interstate. They killed it in a year. So I bit the bullet and bought the X2. Problem solved.

Wow....that's crazy to hear those units caused that kind of drain on the batteries.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 01:54 PM

Does anyone have any of the Blue Top Optima they are running? The guy at battery's plus was saying that the Optima's are not good like they used to be?

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Basstwister
Does anyone have any of the Blue Top Optima they are running? The guy at battery's plus was saying that the Optima's are not good like they used to be?

I’d have to agree with him. I used to get real good service from them. Not so much on the last set so I switched. They were sold then moved to Mexico.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dayne

I’d have to agree with him. I used to get real good service from them. Not so much on the last set so I switched. They were sold then moved to Mexico.

johnson controls owns them now, they make a ton of different name batteries like wally worlds and auto parts stores, I think they still make wally world anyway.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I’m running three of the Sams Duracell AGM 27’s two banked for the Ultrex 80 and one for everything else. Loving them. Minnkota 3 bank charger. 5 hours on spot lock and ready to roll again in just a couple hours on charge. No issues!

great batteries, made by deka, I run 3 deka 27 and a 24 in the champion and like the performance I am getting.

deka pricing at boat dealer is comparable to wally world for same sizes but a whole lot better battery.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 05:31 PM

Sorry , deka 27 what brand name is are these?

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/08/21 09:58 PM

Sorry , deka 27 what brand name is are these?

They are made by East Penn.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/09/21 01:01 AM

deka is the brand name.

east penn. makes the deka and the duracells, either or, same batteries by size.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/09/21 01:08 PM

Ok thanks for your info,

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/11/21 04:11 PM

I will brag on the dekas now.
just spun a hub just south of the 515w bridge on fork, the force tm and 3 deka 27s got me back to williams creek to the ramp.
indicator showed red about the last 200 yds. or so, I am impressed since it took almost an hr. on full speed.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries - 09/15/21 08:08 PM

I use the blue top Optimas for my trolling motor and never had a problem but, I put them on a charger as soon as I get home to get them back to fully charged.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum