Texas Fishing Forum

Sunglasses Purchase

Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Sunglasses Purchase - 07/03/21 04:45 PM

Up to this point, I've survived on the cheapest of cheap sunglasses, but recently the eye doctor recommended some solid polarized sunglasses (small cataract diagnosed) for optical protection purposes mainly. I'm going to need to break down and make a purchase that won't break the bank, but provides protection, solid vision, and comfort. I suppose I could go up to $100 or so.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated from my fellow fishermen. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/03/21 05:22 PM

You can get a pair of polarized Pugs at any Love’s and most convenience stores now, around $20 to $25. Decent glasses that don’t make you too mad when they go in the water.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/03/21 06:20 PM

I have been happy with wiley x glasses they are not 20$ But lenses are very impact resistent, your eyes will thank you when you get that snag free and its is comming right at YOUR FACE. Made in usa. soon to be made in TEX.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/04/21 12:51 AM

So you don’t wear corrective lenses? Your are just wanting a pair of regular good quality sunglasses? Or are you looking for over sunglasses?
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/04/21 01:22 AM

I recently lost the Maui Jim's I bought over 15 years ago. They were great. Polarized glass lenses. When I bought them they had a lifetime warranty, which I used a couple of times. I have a newer pair of Maui Jim's, no lifetime warranty but still great glasses, $100 more than the originals.
Deciding what to replace my lost glasses with was a task. The favorite of all the fishermen are Costa's, with green mirror amber lenses. But, $269.00! I ONLY use these for fishing. I decided to go cheaper, and bought some online from ShadyRay's, polarized green mirror plastic lenses. Got them yesterday. Love them. Haven't fished with them yet, but I'm confident they will be great fishing glasses. If the lenses scratch in a year or two, I can buy another pair, for only $59.00 mailed!
My Croakies(or Chums, can't remember) failed and that's why I lost them. I made an elastic retainer and put it thru each ear piece, after I drilled a hole! Never would have done that with Costa's.
We'll see. I can't believe no one makes an affordable Costa/Maui Jim type copy, with glass polarized lenses.
IslandJim
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/04/21 11:06 AM

I need bifocals for small items and found polarized glasses at Walmart with bifocals for $20. I wear my Costas on the way to the lake then switch to the bifocals while in the boat. I can tell very little difference in the two.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/05/21 02:41 PM

Thanks guys. I ordered the shady rays and will give them a try.
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Sunglasses Purchase - 07/06/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Crappie Ford Man
Thanks guys. I ordered the shady rays and will give them a try.

yeah i have been real happy with shady rays and the warranty they offer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum