Texas Fishing Forum

Installed batteries in Series question...

Posted By: d75bender

Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/23/21 07:29 PM

I have a 24v trolling motor and 2 group 27 batteries powering it. I just had 1 of the batteries die on me...anyone know if can I use a group 24 with a group 27 battery in series together? Will it harm anything?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/23/21 08:41 PM

you can do it if both are about the same age, your 24 will pull the 27 down over time till you have the same as 2 24s.
best to have both the same if possible.

Re: Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/23/21 10:20 PM

Thank you for the info.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/23/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
you can do it if both are about the same age, your 24 will pull the 27 down over time till you have the same as 2 24s.

Hop, are you sure your answer is correct? In Series, I don't think there will be any harm in connecting 2 different sizes together. However in parallel you are correct.

Re: Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/24/21 12:08 AM

Ok cool, either way it looks like I'd be fine connecting a Group 24 and Group 27 battery together...in series. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Installed batteries in Series question... - 05/24/21 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by hopalong

Hop, are you sure your answer is correct? In Series, I don't think there will be any harm in connecting 2 different sizes together. However in parallel you are correct.

you will still run down the 24 first since it will have a lower reserve capacity, then the 27 has to pick up the slack. your fine doing it and may never see a noticeable difference but it is hard on the batteries since one will run down before the other.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum