Texas Fishing Forum

Boat house gas

Posted By: Littledog

Boat house gas - 01/20/21 06:08 AM

Not sure what heading this question should have gone under so here it is;
If your blessed with a house on the lake and a boat in the boat house, you probably know that gassing up at a marina is REALLY expensive.
What do you do about it?

Was thinking of having a 100+ gallon tank on an elevated stand (so no pump is needed) in the boat house. I could then plumb it down the hill from the driveway.
With a tank in the back of the truck, I could drain it down the pipe to the boat house tank for fueling the boat.

Crazy? Got a better idea?
Just hate paying marina prices for gas.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Boat house gas - 01/20/21 06:26 AM

http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/fuel-transport/gas-walker-29-gallon/
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Boat house gas - 01/20/21 02:04 PM

the state will have something to say about a fuel tank on a dock.

wouldn't want to get caught with one that size without proper permits or whatever is required.

why not just load the boat and go fill it when needed, keep 2-3 5 gal. jugs for between times.
Posted By: cellis

Re: Boat house gas - 01/20/21 08:14 PM

Interesting
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Boat house gas - 01/21/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
the state will have something to say about a fuel tank on a dock.

wouldn't want to get caught with one that size without proper permits or whatever is required.

why not just load the boat and go fill it when needed, keep 2-3 5 gal. jugs for between times.

Yep. Been researching the regs in regard to above ground and buried fuel storage and associated piping systems.
This would be in Alabama on a TVA lake.
After further review, the state doesnt really have much to say about it. TVA on the other hand . . . sheeeeuw!!
In short, it doesn't appear to be allowed and if so, probably not worth it.

The portable tank on wheels looks like the best answer.

Trailering the boat every time the boat tank gets low is out of the question.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Boat house gas - 01/21/21 05:56 PM

I buy gas in 5 gallon cans ,
I built small wood 'cage''( for lack of a better description ) I can haul 3 cans to the dock with the help of a 2 wheel dolly. I could do
20 if I redesigned my " cage "

The wooden cage is two pieces of plywood , with a 2x4 ( a little longer than the height of your gas can) on each corner, one can goes inside resting on the bottom , the other two sit on top , whole thing is ratchet strapped to the dolly after setting the cans on it ( strap goes around the cans on top)

15 gallons will last me many trips,

MO
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Boat house gas - 01/25/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mo
I buy gas in 5 gallon cans ,
I built small wood 'cage''( for lack of a better description ) I can haul 3 cans to the dock with the help of a 2 wheel dolly. I could do
20 if I redesigned my " cage "

The wooden cage is two pieces of plywood , with a 2x4 ( a little longer than the height of your gas can) on each corner, one can goes inside resting on the bottom , the other two sit on top , whole thing is ratchet strapped to the dolly after setting the cans on it ( strap goes around the cans on top)

15 gallons will last me many trips,

MO

thumb
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Boat house gas - 01/26/21 02:52 AM

That's what I did. Got tired of carry to 5 gallon gas cans down the hill... Just remember 29 gallons of gas weights (approx. 175lbs) and if your not careful it can get away from you... Plus you'll be relying on gravity to feed the fuel and it does take awhile to empty... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum