Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations)

Posted By: BCBassCat

Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/07/21 09:52 PM

I'm installing my new TM, and it has all these xtra cables. I guess for the i pilot link. I have a huminnbird with GPS at the console and nothing right now at the bow. Maybe one day I'll install LS, but for now just need something nice to work off of the front of the boat.

Please share your thoughts. I'd like to keep any additional spend, less than $1,500.00.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/07/21 11:58 PM

Buy a Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI. It will work with the Ultrex and the built in transducer, or the included Humminbird transducer. Humminbird has 360 and also their version of Panotix coming very soon. Those all work with the 9G3N.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/08/21 03:19 AM

I have a Helix 10 and I am thinking about replacing it with a 12 in the future. confused 3
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/09/21 07:30 PM

Buy the biggest Helix you can afford. If you are thinking Mega 360, or Mega Live, make sure compatible.

I like SI at the bow, but some people don't.

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/14/21 06:14 PM

The main problem I have right now is the location of the female twist lock plug. When the foot pedal is installed the plug is not accessible.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/14/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
The main problem I have right now is the location of the female twist lock plug. When the foot pedal is installed the plug is not accessible.

Don't see where you stated what transducer the Ultrex has. Makes a difference what unit is suitable at the bow.
There are three choices:
US2 is 83/200 kHz 2D sonar ONLY
MDI is HW CHIRP 2D sonar and 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging.
MSI is HW CHIRP 2D sonar, 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging and 455/800/1200 kHz Side Imaging.

An iPilot LINK version has two cables that come out of the top of the motor.
Transducer
Ethernet

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/14/21 09:22 PM

It’s the DI, I guess the question was 2 part. I’d like to get something that will work best for the price and the space, or lack there of. There are 2 cables.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/14/21 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
It’s the DI, I guess the question was 2 part. I’d like to get something that will work best for the price and the space, or lack there of. There are 2 cables.

The smallest model that will work with the MDI transducer is the Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N. Then the next sizes in order are:
Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N and G4N
Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N or G4N
Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N or G4N
Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N or G4N
Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N

All of them are Ethernet capable (that N thing)=Networkable

If future plans include the MEGA 360 or MEGA LIVE, then it must be a DI+ unit.

The 8-12 G3N's are discontinued and replaced by the current G4N.
There are some G2N's that are compatible but they were discontinued in 2018.

Current units are listed on the Humminbird website with their MSRP.

The iPilot LINK (Ethernet extension cable) is 30' long. To connect that directly to a Helix takes the AS EC QDE Ethernet Adapter.
The MDI transducer has a 14-pin plug for direct connection to a SOLIX. To connect it to a Helix requires a 14-pin to 7-pin adapter listed on the Minnkota website compatibility list--the Helix 7 is different than the larger models---- https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/built-In-MEGA-imaging

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 01/17/21 08:53 PM

Well I was going to be smart and use my TM power cables and pull a string through the tube they were in, then use the string to pull my cables, plus the upgraded power wires for the whatever graph I go with back to the bow.

I screwed that all up, and couldn’t get my fiberglass wire puller through the tube. So I just pulled all the wires through the gunnel. Bypassing the tube.

I hope that wasn’t a mistake. BassCat doesn’t make it easy to pull wires.

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 02/28/21 08:20 PM

Finally finished, with winter storm uri and having to work al the time I was unable to get this done quickly. I tested several different foot pedal mounts to attempt to space the pedal to allow for the twist lock plug, because you have to disconnect the Ultrex from power prior to charging.

After redoing all my wiring and getting rid of the plug, I spliced the power cables and installed a breaker at the battery. I didn’t want to have rod handles sitting on the new helix 8 gps mega di (good advice Steeze). So I built a spacer mount out of some material we had at our shop at work.

I Also pulled dedicated wires from the cranking batter for the new helix 8. Finally got out this morning to test everything and other than my cranking battery being a little weak, everything worked great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 03/01/21 02:20 AM

Clean work! Your basscat looks great!
Posted By: Bass Boat Wired

Re: Ultrex on a Sabre (Need Recommendations) - 03/05/21 02:26 AM

I have been installing the battery tender twist lock on the cats. Its low profile and allows the new Ultrex pedals to clear. It fits in the place of the twist lock receptacle.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum