Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing my trailer with used one, what do I need to know?

Posted By: JC1965

Replacing my trailer with used one, what do I need to know? - 12/22/20 02:47 PM

Hello TFF,

I am planning on replacing my trailer with a used one from a seller here on TFF, I have a few questions so I can plan this out:

1. Recommendations for shop in the Dallas area (Plano would be best) to do the runner re-spacing / welding ?
2. Do I provide the the bunk board spacing to the welder?
3. What else do I need to be thinking about and plan for? (lol)

Thank you in advance!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Replacing my trailer with used one, what do I need to know? - 12/22/20 03:13 PM

Might try McGILL IN LEWISVILLE.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Replacing my trailer with used one, what do I need to know? - 12/22/20 03:49 PM

Just some quick thoughts:

- Placement of the bow-bump and winch - see that it's the height and angle you want/need for your boat.
- Brakes - I don't know how heavy your ride is but especially driving up in the DFW, I like to have more brake than I need so that when I "need" brake, I got it.
- Tie downs in the back of the trailer. Know what kind you want to use and make sure you have what you need to attach them to the back of the trailer. I suggest something sold that is welded to the back that you either bolt on to or has the hole for your hook. NOT just hooking onto the bottom of the trailer frame.
- If you plan on stepping on the fender to get in the boat, make sure the fender has a support.
Posted By: JC1965

Re: Replacing my trailer with used one, what do I need to know? - 12/22/20 04:50 PM

Thank you guys, I will check out McGill and "Holzer" good ideas, I was thinking about the bow but had forgotten about the rear straps, fender support I will keep in mind!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum