Texas Fishing Forum

C-Rig Leader Length

Posted By: Chis D

C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 09:18 PM

What is your preferred C-rig leader length? I prefer 3', have used up to 6', know others that are 1-2'.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 09:20 PM

Not much grass in the lake by me so I usually go around 2'. When down at Amistad I go 3-4'

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 09:28 PM

Good point. I am typically pulling over gravel/rock beds, so tend to stay on the mid/short side of things too.
Posted By: Skeeter John

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:08 PM

I prefer short, less than 2 feet

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:09 PM

Years ago, I used to use much longer ones though

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:10 PM

Seems like the weight doesn't slide up the line with short leaders like long ones. Or i could just peg it and stop the slide. Longer ones will also knot up

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:11 PM

Do you use mono or floro leaders? I originally used mono for the benefit of keeping the bait suspended, but I am now more inclined to go with floro for the sensitivity (and low visibility). Do you have times when you prefer one over the other?

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:41 PM

Floro leader. I like the strength and the low viz

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:42 PM

I do wonder if mono gives it any better action though?

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:43 PM

I had a good fisherman once tell me he felt like they hold on to it better if it is shorter so I went from 24-36" leader to <24" leader. I seemed to be catching a lot of fish

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:48 PM

A more recent story. I took a new fishing buddy to Fayette with me. He was a decent fisherman, but had been out of the game for a while. I smoked him pretty good on the first trip, but on the next 4 trips he sticks it to me pretty good. He was using a much longer leader than I was. He was also using a small ring fry and Kicker Fish Bubble Fry. Not sure if it was the longer leader, smaller bait or both, but his method seems to be working.

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/24/20 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Not much grass in the lake by me so I usually go around 2'. When down at Amistad I go 3-4'

That is a good point on the grass. Longer leader probably a better deal.

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/25/20 02:54 AM

I also like braid for the main line, for the same reason -- sensitivity -- and less stretch on hookset.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 11/25/20 12:54 PM

2' or <
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 01/29/21 05:35 PM

4 to 6 foot leader....I want my bait to free float as much as possible behind the weight. When I pop it or twitch it, I want as much free action and time for the fish to be able to react and grab it, so I can swing em in the boat....

Watching a video from the GREAT MARK PACK, he stated the same thing, so I just kept on doing what I've been doing.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 01/30/21 03:54 PM

3 feet
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 02/05/21 12:06 AM

3-4 ft. Just watch out for that bait and hook when it’s flying past your head. It hurts at 300 miles per hour. Even through a hat.

Re: C-Rig Leader Length - 02/12/21 01:52 AM

LOL, agreed. I end up with a half over-head / side arm sling to keep it away from the noggin. That said, I think there should be a 2 person/boat limit when the leaders lengthen out.

This also reminds me of fishing with the guy who brought me into boat fishing in the 90's in his old ranger - A bigger fella' and his boat had plastic swivel seats. With the long leader, he had the most massive low to high hook sets I have ever seen. The one that sticks out in my mind was him lowering, raring back, cracking the chair, and rolling over backwards!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum