Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex issue

Posted By: Richman

Ultrex issue - 07/13/20 08:10 PM

I've looked over the site but have not seen this topic.

I've have an Ultrex bow mounted on my Skeeter. It runs fine if I have the speed setting 6 or below. If I set it higher and run for more than a minute or so, the motor kicks off and emits a loud beep. I've checked the battery connections. The wiring is 6 gauge marine wire.

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions? (other than running under 6)
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/13/20 09:20 PM

What is the circuit breaker size?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/14/20 02:26 AM

Are you turning it when it does it?

Is Spot Lock on and the dial just turned up on a higher # than 6?

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/15/20 09:32 PM

I'll check the circuit breaker.

It happens whether I am manually pushing the go pedal or on the heading setting or the constant on setting. I would imagine it would happen if I were turning as well.

Iusually set spot lock much lower,
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/16/20 05:52 AM

When you say it "kicks off" do you mean it just shuts down, or does the breaker trip? If the breaker isn't tripping, then I wouldn't expect that (the breaker) to be the issue.

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/16/20 12:33 PM

it shuts off. The motor stops. The indicator lights go off. Then, after about two to three seconds, it beeps and operates like normal unless I run it on speeds higher that 6 again.
Frustrating.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/17/20 08:29 AM

sounds like an auto reset breaker or could be something in the electronics sensing an overload.

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/17/20 12:00 PM

I'll check the breaker and maybe replace it. If that does not work I'll probably take it to a shop in Houston that specializes in trolling Motors.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: W B

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/23/20 03:19 AM

It probably in a wire to wire connection. I had the same problem. It was amp over load. Not the eternal breaker tho.

Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/23/20 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by W B
It probably in a wire to wire connection. I had the same problem. It was amp over load. Not the eternal breaker tho.

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. If you mean a poor connection, that can cause issues, but would also typically cause the breaker to trip. He said the breaker isn't tripping; instead, the TM simply stops working. My educated guess is that the TM has an internal malfunction.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/23/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Richman
I'll check the breaker and maybe replace it. If that does not work I'll probably take it to a shop in Houston that specializes in trolling Motors.

Thanks for the help.

G&S are good guys. I had to take my Ultrex in once, the sucker is heavy!! They will tell you to bring only the TM and pedal. Apparently someone brought the mount as well!!!

Re: Ultrex issue - 07/28/20 07:24 PM

I checked the circuit breaker. It's one of those small, self resetting type. Looked to be the original. Replaced it. Now, I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out.

Re: Ultrex issue - 09/02/20 02:35 PM

Follow up on this issue. I finally got back on the water and tested the TM with the new circuit breaker. Replacing the old breaker has corrected the issue as I am able to now cruise on 10 for extended periods. So, got lucky on this one.

Thanks to all.
Posted By: sll

Re: Ultrex issue - 09/03/20 09:35 PM

Good to know.....first I have heard about this particular issue.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum