Texas Fishing Forum

Duracell Batteries

Posted By: KyleW

Duracell Batteries - 06/24/20 07:20 PM

I have seen a lot of recommendations for the Duracell AGM batteries from Sam's. However, has anybody run one of these and if so, has it worked out well? This would be going in my ski boat, replacing a 5 year old Interstate. Thanks in advance!

https://www.samsclub.com/p/marine-group-24msho-12-mo-free/prod15350131?xid=plp_product_1_8
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/24/20 07:53 PM

I have 3 groups 31's in my boat for over 2 years now. No complaints.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/24/20 08:22 PM

I have two 27’s for the 24v trolling motor and a 24 for cranking ect. All three on a three bank Minn Kota. Working great so far. I switched from Interstate battery’s.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/24/20 09:48 PM

They work great for me, better than any others I have used..
Posted By: fluker

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/24/20 11:53 PM

Great for me also, have 2 group 27 for TM and over 30 months old and we do fish!
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/25/20 02:13 AM

Are you guys talking about the AGMs, or the non AGM Duracell’s he linked? I never hear much about the non AGM Duracells.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/25/20 09:47 AM

I have the AGM’s.. I didn’t open the link. Sorry
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/25/20 03:32 PM

3 group 31 Duracell AGM's here from WalMart. 1 year old. No issues.

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/25/20 04:58 PM

I am limited on space and did not see a Group 24 AGM at Sam's unfortunately.

The one I linked is $80 but is a flooded battery, but they do not list a reserve capacity on the battery which worries me a bit.
They do have a Group 34 AGM battery for $120, pretty much identical case size so it would fit the boat - not sure if there is any gain in going to a group 34 though?

Is it stupid to worry about the reserve capacity not being listed? I assume on all batteries there is somewhat of a reserve capacity. This is a single battery boat, so do not want to make the wrong move.

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/25/20 06:34 PM

Decided to stick with the Duracell 24MSHO battery. $89 out the door, manufacturer sticker is 7/20. I will report back here if I have any issues with the battery.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Duracell Batteries - 06/26/20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by KyleW
Decided to stick with the Duracell 24MSHO battery. $89 out the door, manufacturer sticker is 7/20. I will report back here if I have any issues with the battery.

made by deka, great quality.
I have 3 grp 27 and a 24 in my champion all deka. made in penn.

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/east-penn-releases-new-duracell-automotive-batteries/

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/04/20 12:37 AM

Please stay far away from the non AGM batteries.

One week in and it leaked battery acid all over the place. Unfortunately it was in my vehicle when this happened and destroyed the floor mat and part of the carpet. All while sitting next to my old Interstate, which is still full and non-leaking.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/04/20 02:23 AM

Kyle

Think you got a bad one which happens. Run 2 27’s on my TM and just bought a Duracell 27DP as my cranker and it has been great.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/04/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by KyleW

I’ve been using the Duracell 27’s and they work fine as long as you maintain them. You can get a bad battery from any manufacturer. My last bad battery was an Interstate 27 group that lasted 13 months before it would take a charge. The dealer said it was a bad cell just 1 month past the warranty coverage.

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/04/20 06:54 PM

Maybe it was just a bad battery, but 8 days and leaking 1/4 of the acid out is absolutely unacceptable. I have reached out to both Duracell and East Penn who makes them regarding the incident.
I will be going to Sam’s Club Monday morning regarding the battery as clearly it will be replaced under warranty, just not sure I want to put my faith in another one.
Posted By: Texas Grown

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/05/20 12:06 AM

Can't help to much. But if it makes a difference, I have one Duracell deep cycle group 31 wet cell from Batteries Plus+ Bulbs that is going on it's 5th year coming up. I've been using it to run my 55lb Terrova with I-pilot link. I also used it as a starting battery and for electrics for a short period of time till I got a starting battery (Duracell group 24 wet cell) for starting and electronics. When I got Duracell group 24 dual purpose for starting and electronics, it didn't last but one season. So I replaced it with an Interstate Dual purpose AGM group 24 from Academy. I'm just wondering how long the Duracell DC 31 is going to last?
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/26/20 08:24 PM

I have been using them for about 2 years no problems or complaints. I recommend them to everyone.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Duracell Batteries - 07/26/20 09:48 PM

fish I put 2 grp 27 's in on 7/7 flooded cell for t.m. seem to have plenty of run time. Too bad about leaking all over you carpet
Posted By: whale

Re: Duracell Batteries - 11/14/20 06:12 PM

I also bought two Duracell batteries, non AGM, for my trolling motor. Had vents on top. Leaked acid out the top. Terrible. Took both back. Never again.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Duracell Batteries - 11/14/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by whale
I also bought two Duracell batteries, non AGM, for my trolling motor. Had vents on top. Leaked acid out the top. Terrible. Took both back. Never again.

Only way they leak out the top is if their over filled or over charged and boiled out.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Duracell Batteries - 11/15/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by whale

i had one leaking also ,one year old
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Duracell Batteries - 11/15/20 10:44 PM

I bit the bullet and bought Northstars. Dual purpose AGM for starting and graphs etc and their deep cycle wet cells for the trolling motor. I was told by Northstars tech support not to run a dual purpose AGM for the trolling motor.

Re: Duracell Batteries - 04/18/21 03:09 AM

I just realized I never updated this thread.

East Penn acted like they were going to help, put me in contact with their insurance and he told me he was going to pick the battery up and do some testing and determine the cause of the leak. They told me if it was deemed a faulty battery, they would pay for all necessary repairs.

After several months, he ultimately told me he still has not had the battery picked up. Initial messages were in July. As of November he still hadn’t done anything at all. My guess is he tested the battery, realized it was faulty, but decided not to do anything about it. It doesn’t take 4 months to pick up a battery.

I highly advise to stay away from their non-AGM batteries. Their AGM batteries may be great, but stay away from the non-AGM. I ended up finding some good shape carpet at a junk yard and swapped it in myself, so at least the vehicle isn’t damaged anymore.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Duracell Batteries - 04/18/21 10:29 AM

Glad u got everything fixed, the Duracell i pulled is still leaking and it is just sitting on a cooler .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum