Texas Fishing Forum

swapping brakes on trailer

Posted By: hopalong

swapping brakes on trailer - 06/03/20 10:11 PM

anyone ever change from drum to disc on your boat trailer?

thinking of doing my champion.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: swapping brakes on trailer - 06/04/20 12:08 AM

Drum to disc conversion
not difficult but several things to consider when choosing the parts/kit....
Posted By: T Bird

Re: swapping brakes on trailer - 06/04/20 11:53 AM

I did my Champion/Easy Loader trailer, not difficult.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: swapping brakes on trailer - 06/04/20 12:51 PM

Master cylinders (the surge unit in the trailer tongue) are specific parts for drum vs. disc brakes, or at least UFP brand ones were. The unit for drum brakes has a "preload pressuure" valve that always holds a certain amount of pressure on the drums - probably because they have to travel so much to engage. That is done with a spring-loaded check-valve type setup. When I did a conversion kit on an older trailer, the instructions included a step to disable that check-valve to avoid constant disc brake engagement. Be aware of this if you convert a drum system to disc.

I seem to recall the check valve was in the master cylinder body at the output port. All I had to do was puncture the metal seal of the valve with a small center-punch. I could see this when I removed the brake line from the back of the master cylinder. It was a simple 5 minute step in the conversion, but an important one. Hopefully you are adding a reverse solenoid valve also? You'll need to move up to a 5 wire flat trailer connector as the most common way to connect that - unless you like the full 7-round.

Of what I know of you, this is NOT a difficult job. You'll love the disc system. Mine was well worth it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum