Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex Steering Cable Change (Big Deal?)

Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Ultrex Steering Cable Change (Big Deal?) - 05/19/20 02:41 AM

How hard is it to change the steering cables on an Ultrex? My steering cable broke and I have to get it fixed by Thursday. I live in the Tyler, Texas area and if I can't find someone to repair it I will have to do it myself. Is it difficult to find the cables on short notice?
Posted By: savntay

Re: Ultrex Steering Cable Change (Big Deal?) - 05/21/20 04:02 AM

I actually changed my steering cables today. Last week I broke the long one and after calling around to get it fixed( about $175-$225), I decided to fix it myself. After doing research I found out that when you replace one you should also replace the other. The biggest part is finding the cable. I found both of them on Ebay for about $40. It took me about an hour in a half, but it's done and I'm back in the game!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex Steering Cable Change (Big Deal?) - 05/21/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by savntay
I actually changed my steering cables today. Last week I broke the long one and after calling around to get it fixed( about $175-$225), I decided to fix it myself. After doing research I found out that when you replace one you should also replace the other. The biggest part is finding the cable. I found both of them on Ebay for about $40. It took me about an hour in a half, but it's done and I'm back in the game!

You could have had it done under warranty. Unless you’re like me and bought one the day they came out. My 3yr warranty expired 3 weeks ago. I did my first set on my time and dime. The second set was done at a shop under warranty.

But, that said, it is a Semi-mechanically inclined job. Take pictures as you disassembled and note that one cable is longer than the other for a reason.

I just recently rebuilt the entire mount with all new plastics, bushings, yoke, nose ramp, and shock. That was $45.
So they are easy enough and cheap enough to keep going.

Oh. Buy your parts direct from MinnKota next time. They are less expensive that way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum