Texas Fishing Forum

Starting battery charging?

Posted By: Kevin R.

Starting battery charging? - 05/11/20 03:52 PM

Does anyone have their starting battery on an onboard charger? I try to charge my starting battery about once a month but have to use a stand alone charger. I was thinking of getting a 3 bank charger and adding my starting battery on it. Has anyone done this and had any issues?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/11/20 06:54 PM

That is the only way to fly. Stand alones are a PITA.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 01:21 PM

Most of us do and have zero issues
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 01:24 PM

thumb You'll be happy you did. smile
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 03:05 PM

Kevin,

There are a couple of 3 bank chargers for sale right now in the classifieds. I have a Dual Pro that works great. Heard good things about the Minn Kota's. Its the only way to roll.

4W
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 04:00 PM

My previous boats didn’t have the on-board charger. This one does, and I am very happy about it.

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info, I think I will go after one soon. I have a mid level minn kota 2 bank now and it works great.

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/12/20 11:38 PM

Just got a 3 bank minn kota off Amazon for $145. Looks like I'll be installing it this weekend.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/16/20 09:38 PM

banana kevin you will be GLAD354365y23 I was doing sane for awhile best move easy install.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/17/20 06:18 PM

Something to think about. Why not use 3 single bank chargers if you have the space. You have a 3 bank, a bank goes bad, now what??? Been there-done that!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/17/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Something to think about. Why not use 3 single bank chargers if you have the space. You have a 3 bank, a bank goes bad, now what??? Been there-done that!

Three one-bank chargers take up more space, weigh more in total, and cost more in total than an equivalent 3-bank charger. If a bank goes bad, buy another charger. For those with 36V trolling motors, the advantage of a 4 bank charger is even more pronounced vs. 4 single bank chargers. I have one high-quality single bank charger that always goes on overnight trips along with a voltmeter. It's my way of dealing with a bank going out while on a trip, but I've never had to use it.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/18/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Three one-bank chargers take up more space, weigh more in total, and cost more in total than an equivalent 3-bank charger. If a bank goes bad, buy another charger. For those with 36V trolling motors, the advantage of a 4 bank charger is even more pronounced vs. 4 single bank chargers. I have one high-quality single bank charger that always goes on overnight trips along with a voltmeter. It's my way of dealing with a bank going out while on a trip, but I've never had to use it.

Flippin-Out, that has not been my experience. I have had 3 different 3 bank that one bank went south. Have not bought another 3 or 4 bank. I have found that cost in the long run is less, maybe because I don't buy the high dollar models that normally come in a Ranger. I have been using the PROMARINER Models for 10+ years and have had great experiences with them plus outstanding customer service. BTW You can buy direct from them.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/18/20 02:12 AM

I've been using 3-bank and 4-bank chargers for over 25 years (sometimes more than 1 unit since I had multiple boats) and have never had a failure. I have the most years use with the Promariner Professional Series (not the cheaper units sold by big box stores), and NOCO, with the most recent experience being DualPro. My experience seems opposite yours, but it may be in which model products you chose.
Posted By: TexasHart

Re: Starting battery charging? - 05/26/20 08:15 PM

I'm replacing a 2-bank + external with a new Minn Kota 3-bank to charge my starting and trolling batteries. Minn Kota is also offering $50 back on several models until this end of this month. (5/31)

The precision model I'm using allows one to set the type of battery per bank. My starting battery is a flooded lead-acid, my trolling batteries are AGM's. 3 X 10 Amps, I'm so excited!!!

~ Jason
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum