Texas Fishing Forum

Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor

Posted By: Jayburl

Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor - 04/27/20 03:44 AM

Ok guys I’m looking for some opinions... The wife gave the green light on a new trolling motor. Can decide which one to get. Looking for pros and cons from personal experience with motors with spot lock. I run older birds 1199’s. Always ran minn Kota but entertaining some of the other brands. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor - 04/27/20 05:41 AM

You say you run "older birds".....like you might have hopes of replacing them in the future. Instead of getting a TM that would specifically work well NOW with 1199s, how about think about which way you think you want to go with electronics in the future? Once you answer that question, then look for the best TM to pair up with that future electronics choice. That way, you'll be working to set yourself up with a system that will last long term without possibly having to backtrack on today's expenditure at some point in the future. Use that info to choose the TM that will make that future match-up the ideal you eventually would like to have.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor - 04/27/20 09:34 PM

Flippin-Out, that’s excellent advice, and I’m glad you said it. It will be considered when I get ready to spend some money, and it will be useful in my discussions with equipment sellers.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor - 04/28/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
You say you run "older birds".....like you might have hopes of replacing them in the future. Instead of getting a TM that would specifically work well NOW with 1199s, how about think about which way you think you want to go with electronics in the future? Once you answer that question, then look for the best TM to pair up with that future electronics choice. That way, you'll be working to set yourself up with a system that will last long term without possibly having to backtrack on today's expenditure at some point in the future. Use that info to choose the TM that will make that future match-up the ideal you eventually would like to have.

Agreed. It’s so constraining that HB only talk to MinnKota, but MG talks to Lowrance. It should be universal. But they make less money that way.
Posted By: Jayburl

Re: Trouble deciding on new Trolling Motor - 04/28/20 03:26 PM

Thanks guys!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum