Texas Fishing Forum

Spot Lock goes nuts

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/03/20 02:52 AM

Once spot lock is on , it does it’s thing keeping boat in place . After couple of minor adjustments it goes clockwise 360 , stops couple more minor adjustments then another 360 . Same direction , I have to get on the pedal quick or it will try to go again . By then the cord looks like a snake wrapped around the shaft . Anybody have same issues ? Some help please . Thanks
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/03/20 03:10 PM

I would get on the water, deploy the the trolling motor, and call tech support.
For these guys on here to help, need the type trolling motor....good luck. fish
Posted By: carb

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/03/20 04:35 PM

Motor guide? I experienced the same thing this weekend. https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...e-terrova-vs-motorguide-xi5#Post13498663
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/04/20 04:38 PM

It is not suppose to turn more than 360 degrees in the same direction. It should be stopping and then spin the other direction 360 so that it doesn't damage the cable. Have you tried doing a software update? Maybe there is something too close that is causing an interference. Try doing a reset on it and that might help. The manual should tell you the procedure if not google it. I have had an older one that did similar to that and I wasn't paying attention to it and it snapped the transducer cable. It was a fluke and never did it again.
Posted By: Texas Grown

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/05/20 01:11 PM

I had this problem a couple of times. Then realized I was not driving the boat in 3 circles after putting it in the water, to orientate the GPS that's built into the head of the troller. If the power is cut to the troller, such as when you turn it off at the end of a day, it will most likely need to be done again. You might give that a try and see if that solves your problem of getting twisted up and trying to self correct it's self.

One feature I like about the troller was the self correcting untwisting when it gets twisted up, like when the boat gets blown around from the wind swirling. This should be done automatically. But if you don't do the 3 circle thing, it may get confused thinking it needs to self right it's self. Then it is constantly thinking it needs to untwist, while in reality, it is twisting up, only untwist then twist up again. Then repeat it's self.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/05/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Grown
I had this problem a couple of times. Then realized I was not driving the boat in 3 circles after putting it in the water, to orientate the GPS that's built into the head of the troller. If the power is cut to the troller, such as when you turn it off at the end of a day, it will most likely need to be done again. You might give that a try and see if that solves your problem of getting twisted up and trying to self correct it's self.

One feature I like about the troller was the self correcting untwisting when it gets twisted up, like when the boat gets blown around from the wind swirling. This should be done automatically. But if you don't do the 3 circle thing, it may get confused thinking it needs to self right it's self. Then it is constantly thinking it needs to untwist, while in reality, it is twisting up, only untwist then twist up again. Then repeat it's self.

This only works when you put it in calibration mode. If not it does nothing.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/05/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by Texas Grown

This only works when you put it in calibration mode. If not it does nothing.

tmd11111 is correct, but a bit of misinformation is presented above that. Once your properly calibrate the system, said calibration is not discarded simply by turning the power to the TM off. For many years, the owner's manual of any trolling motor I've seen has recommended that power be disconnected from the TM before charging the batteries. This is why many boat builders started providing a circuit breaker that could be tripped manually to disconnect power from the TM. Doing that doesn't delete the calibration. The need to calibrate is real, but once done, you shouldn't need to do it again unless you change something about the boat at the bow (such as add or remove other installed items, including electronics).

As for a manual-mode circuit breaker for your TM, it's a good practice to trip that before charging batteries. The TM circuits might not like something that the charger does, causing damage. If the charger fails, it could do wild things like produce high voltage spikes that could damage the TM. What about a power surge from a lightning strike on the AC power for the charger? If that gets through, it could fry the TM. I even use a surge protector for the AC power to my charger in hopes of avoiding damage. Granted, the breaker doesn't disconnect the GND connection, but there's at least no longer a straight forward circuit for bad energy to follow.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/06/20 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the info guys .
Posted By: Specktackulure

Re: Spot Lock goes nuts - 04/10/20 02:17 AM

Have you looked at your boat scale? on the remote?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum