Texas Fishing Forum

hole saw for drilling rod holders

Posted By: carb

hole saw for drilling rod holders - 03/31/20 09:53 PM

I want to mount some stainless flush mount rod holders on my boat. The last time I did this on a previous boat I used a very inexpensive hold saw I found on amazon and it proved to make the job much harder than it had to be. I saw some more sturdy aggressive looking hole saws online, but I did not want to get to rough of a saw that would cause damage to the fiberglass. Any suggestions on the best type of hole saw to use when drilling thru a fiberglass boat deck?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 03/31/20 09:56 PM

I've only used cheap ones but had no problem. I always put the drill in reverse to start the cut. That keeps the finish from splintering.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 03/31/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dayne
I've only used cheap ones but had no problem. I always put the drill in reverse to start the cut. That keeps the finish from splintering.

This but I put masking or painters tape on the area first...
Posted By: Dayne

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 04/01/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by bronco71
Originally Posted by Dayne

This but I put masking or painters tape on the area first...

You bet. It has been a while since I have done it. I forgot the tape step. Thanks for the reminder.
Posted By: MATTSUEY

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 04/01/20 01:17 PM

i would get a bi-metal blade,as suggested start in reverse
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 04/02/20 12:19 AM

Another trick, to keep hole saws from walking, replace the pilot bit with the same length of bar stock. Drill your pilot hole with a normal bit, then use the hole saw. The bar stock will not wallow out the pilot hole because it has no cutting edge like the normal pilot bit would and keeps better control of the hole saw.
Posted By: carb

Re: hole saw for drilling rod holders - 04/02/20 03:58 PM

All great advice, thank you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum