Texas Fishing Forum

Installing my Ulterra

Posted By: poormanfishing

Installing my Ulterra - 03/05/20 04:41 PM

I bought an Ulterra from a forum member and I'm going to install it this weekend. I did not get a GPS puck with it. Is this something I have to have to use the spotlock and tracking features? If I link it to a hummingbird graph that already has a gps puck do I still need the MK head unit?
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/05/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by poormanfishing
I bought an Ulterra from a forum member and I'm going to install it this weekend. I did not get a GPS puck with it. Is this something I have to have to use the spotlock and tracking features? If I link it to a hummingbird graph that already has a gps puck do I still need the MK head unit?

It doesn't come with a GPS puck. iPilot is GPS.
It comes with a Heading Sensor that talks to the iPilot via Bluetooth.

The Heading sensor is used for the Jogging feature, it lets the iPilot know where left, right, forward, and rearward are. GPS cannot calculation direction unless it is moving faster than .6 mph.
It also makes the GPS positioning more accurate.
You don't have to have one or use one. I frequently forget to turn the power on to the Heading Sensor.

You can use the iPilot with its Heading sensor as a GPS/Heading source for the Humminbird if the iPilot is the LINK version but you cannot subscribe to the Humminbird's GPS or Heading Sensor to the iPilot.
Posted By: poormanfishing

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/05/20 05:24 PM

So do I even need the heading sensor? I call it a GPS puck sometimes
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/08/20 10:51 PM

No, you do not need the heading sensor it will work just fine without it. I would use a quick removal plate. Should the TM have issues or need service, it is easier to take it in and keep the boat at home.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/09/20 04:02 AM

And make sure you have good batteries. They are really sensitive to battery voltage and will quit working. If batteries get really low, the motor won't stow. If you don't have a manual for it, look it up on line and print it off and keep it in the boat. There is a procedure to stow the motor in case of a battery failure.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/09/20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
And make sure you have good batteries. They are really sensitive to battery voltage and will quit working. If batteries get really low, the motor won't stow. If you don't have a manual for it, look it up on line and print it off and keep it in the boat. There is a procedure to stow the motor in case of a battery failure.

One time last year my Ulterra batteries got so low that the prop no longer rotated but there was enough juice left in the batteries to stow the trolling motor. Hopefully in most cases there will be enough juice left to at least stow the trolling motor since it appears to be a PIA to stow the Ulterra without batteries.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Installing my Ulterra - 03/09/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Capt Craig
No, you do not need the heading sensor it will work just fine without it. I would use a quick removal plate. Should the TM have issues or need service, it is easier to take it in and keep the boat at home.

I have sold and installed quite a few LiftSaver TM Mounts because of this very issue (plus it helps to protect the trolling motor when launching).

www.liftsavertmmount.com
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum