Texas Fishing Forum

Boat carpet glue

Posted By: katjim

Boat carpet glue - 01/03/20 03:00 AM

So I am going to put new carpet in my old Skeeter. Right now it's in the fiberglass shop getting the floor redone. I have already pulled off all the lids and pulled off the old carpet in tack for templates. I hit all the lids with my grinder with a brass wire brush to knock off the old glue. Cleaning them all with acetone to get off the rest of the adhesive. Still need to clean the glue residue off the glass when I get it back. I can order carpet from Skeeter and new foam lid backing too, so I am probably going to go back with their stuff since it's a 25oz carpet and they state it's the original size.

My question is on the glue. Not really sure what to use yet. Some glues say they work with aluminum and fiberglass but you have to rough up the surface. The glass has gelcoat and I don't really want to ruff it up. The boat is a 2001 and it's the original carpet. So something adheres well I just can't figure out what. So for you guys that have redone your own carpet what have you found that works well. The boat sits outside the house but it always has a boat cover on it. Trying to find something that lasts and that's not going to get brittle in 5 years and separate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/03/20 01:36 PM

I always use the “blow your house up” contact cement. It cannot be used anywhere around a flame such as a furnace or water heater. I buy mine at Lowes.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/03/20 01:58 PM

3M trim cement in the spray can.
Posted By: dkestes

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/03/20 03:09 PM

I re-carpeted my old Ranger 7 or 8 years ago. I used Robert's outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot. Used a glue trowel to put it down. It's been holding up really well.

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/08/20 02:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/08/20 03:23 AM

Do not use glue in a aerosol can. It doesn’t work. The carpet will come loose.

Use Weldwood Marine contact adhesive. Gonna take an air compressor and a cheap siphon feed paint gun.
Apply to boat surfaces and carpet backing. Allow to dry to touch, then stick em together. Permanent.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/08/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by dkestes
I re-carpeted my old Ranger 7 or 8 years ago. I used Robert's outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot. Used a glue trowel to put it down. It's been holding up really well.

I also used this glue and works extremely well.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/09/20 03:55 AM

Use DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive Landau Top & Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray Grade. You'll need about one and a half gallons to redo a 20 bass boat carpet. Spray it on as Steez recommended.

Other products will probably let go in the summer heat.

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/09/20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by PhishWhisperer
Use DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive Landau Top & Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray Grade.

Thanks. I was planning on using this as it was recommended by someone that installs carpet.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/09/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Do not use glue in a aerosol can. It doesn’t work. The carpet will come loose.

Use Weldwood Marine contact adhesive. Gonna take an air compressor and a cheap siphon feed paint gun.
Apply to boat surfaces and carpet backing. Allow to dry to touch, then stick em together. Permanent.

This and a can handy for spot touch ups on edges

Re: Boat carpet glue - 01/09/20 02:37 PM

I have a bigger compressor so I am good on that. Found a auto trim place online that sells the glue and a glue gun along with new pinch molding. Think I will order 2 gallons just to make sure.

For those that have sprayed contact adhesive with a spray gun, will it be better to cut out my carpet pieces first and dry fit them and then spray with adhesive. Or will it be better to spray 1 coat on the carpet whole, cut and fit, and then spray a second coat on the pieces to reactivate the adhesive before I assemble. I plan on 2 coats of adhesive on the carpet right now to make sure I have good coverage because of the backing ridges. The lids I plan on 1 coat, decks....probably 2

Side note: thinking about putting down the closed cell foam on the deck and lids as well...just 1/4". Not sure if I should put the foam on the floor in the bottom
Posted By: RobertHan

Re: Boat carpet glue - 05/29/21 12:49 PM

I used this glue of Roberts. Roberts is a well-known brand that delivers a wide variety of adhesive products. And their 3095-1 Glue is a specialized adhesive for marine carpets. smile
It bonds well with concrete, APA-rated plywood, and vinyl composition tile. It is high tack and grabs firmly. The glue also prevents the growth of mold and mildew.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum