Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Wiring Project (UDATED)

Posted By: parttime

Boat Wiring Project (UDATED) - 11/16/19 08:29 PM

Hello all, I'm going to document my boat wiring project(s) here on this thread. Back ground: the boat is a 2009 Mako 1801 CC with a 2009 Mercury Optimax 115. The overall plan is to; 1) clean up the wiring in the center console, it is a mess with wires hanging everywhere, 2) add a radio and some additional lighting, 3) add a house battery. Currently (not including the 24v trolling motor batteries), the boat has 1 battery. I want to add a second battery so that I have a house battery and a starting battery. I will be using the Blue Sea Mini Add A Battery System, you can see that here: Blue Sea System. I am not a wiring guru, I am very much an armature so anyone with suggestions I am all ears. I have most of the supplies I need, and have already started working on cleaning up the CC. So, if you have any tips or suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!

Re: Boat Wiring Project - 11/24/19 12:04 AM

Ok folks I'm getting started on this dual battery setup and I have some questions. Attached is the wiring diagram. My current setup has 1 battery positive that goes to a perko switch that is only off and on. Then from the switch there are two lines that leave, I assume one goes to the motor, and one to the center console (fuse box). One of these has a 20amp inline breaker/fuse (??) I think that one goes to the motor. Does this sound correct? Then on the ground, it goes in the passageway and I assume to the console to ground the fuse panel. I do not have the Negative bus bar shown in this diagram. Do I just get one and run all the grounds to it? What grounds the buss bar? Thanks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Boat Wiring Project - 11/24/19 03:23 AM

You take a 10g or bigger black wire from the battery neutral to the main lug on the negative buss bar. Then run your accessory grounds to it.

Re: Boat Wiring Project - 11/26/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
You take a 10g or bigger black wire from the battery neutral to the main lug on the negative buss bar. Then run your accessory grounds to it.

So I can do that with both of the batteries?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum