Texas Fishing Forum

Mounting transducer to short trolling motor

Posted By: Waterdoglures

Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 01:13 AM

All of the installation videos I’ve found for mounting a transducer to a trolling motor use stainless hose clamps attached to the motor housing. Unfortunately, my old Johnson trolling motor housing appears to be[Linked Image]too short to be able to mount one or more hose clamps. Has anyone crossed this bridge before? I was considering purchasing a Lowrance Splitshot transducer for mounting but open to all suggestions.
Any/all advice is appreciated.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 01:19 AM

When I had those motors (4 of them), I used a stainless steel hose clamp to attach a Humminbird 2D puck to the front of the motor.
I also made a somewhat H shaped block to attach a Lowrance 2D puck to the shaft above the motor.

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 02:03 AM

Thanks Wayne. I’ll start researching Hummingbird fishfinders. 4 motors for 4 different boats?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 01:20 PM

Bolt it to the skeg.

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 02:05 PM

Thanks Gamblinman. That’s a great idea.
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 06:13 PM

2-D round Lowrance sonar transducer with hose clamp will fit & work with any HDS unit or the Bullet transducer on the HOOK units

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Waterdoglures
Thanks Wayne. I’ll start researching Hummingbird fishfinders. 4 motors for 4 different boats?

No, one on the bass boat and I bought three spares when I head they are being discontinued. Used one on a jon boat later.

The Humminbird puck I used was about 2" in diameter--Super 30 flasher. The newer ones are about 1" in diameter as well as the Lowrance pucks. Plenty of room for those in front of the skeg.

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 10/22/19 07:53 PM

Thanks Rob. Do you think I could mount the splitshot transducer to a bracket bolted to the skeg or would the portion of the skeg below the transducer interfere with the signal?
It looks like the Hook 4x is the only model available with the bullet transducer. Do you know of a 5 or 7 inch screen option?

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 11/15/19 09:05 PM

Thanks everyone for help on this. I ended up taking Gamblinman’s suggestion to bolt it to the skeg.
Used 3/4” steel tube, hose clamps and added a “rubber bumper” to try to provide a little protection for the cable.
Tight lines!

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 11/15/19 09:10 PM

Photo of finished mount. [Linked Image]
Posted By: TX_Nupe2010

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 12/02/19 07:47 PM

I have a similar problem. I added link to an example of the trolling motor I have. I have a Total Scan transducer and on the motor is an extended piece for the shaft.
The mount for my transducer will not fit correctly. If I mount it after that extended piece it extends pass the motor. If I mount it over the extended piece it won't be level.
Any ideas?

www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-DSI-Trolling-Motor-Transducer-Bracket/1168104.uts?slotId=14
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 12/02/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TX_Nupe2010
I have a similar problem. I added link to an example of the trolling motor I have. I have a Total Scan transducer and on the motor is an extended piece for the shaft.
The mount for my transducer will not fit correctly. If I mount it after that extended piece it extends pass the motor. If I mount it over the extended piece it won't be level.
Any ideas?

www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-DSI-Trolling-Motor-Transducer-Bracket/1168104.uts?slotId=14

Take a picture and post it so we can see your dilemma. I bet we can figure something out. There's some fart smellers in here.

Re: Mounting transducer to short trolling motor - 12/02/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by TX_Nupe2010
Any ideas?

That is not a shaft extension, it is a built-in 2D sonar transducer:

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/trolling_motors/serialize(value)/MotorGuide_Tour_Edition_Series/885200/7754-130
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum