Texas Fishing Forum

Batteries (Chargeing and Water question)

Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 08/26/19 01:23 PM

Hey guys,

I keep my Boat in a UN-AIRCONDITIONED Storage unit...so it gets pretty hot in the Summer months...

I keep my Boat plugged in 24/7 charging when in storage... Is this a bad idea???

Also should I look at the batteries WATER LEVEL ?

and consider refilling if they appear low? (Distilled Water I'm told)

I just wanted to ask...because Everytime I try and FIX something that isn't BROKEN...it ends up BROKEN...

Anyway-Thank ya'll
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 08/26/19 02:41 PM

Do you use a battery "maintainer" ? This charging unit does not charge all the time...just when the battery needs it and then shuts off. As far as the water goes......use what the battery is suppose to use. I use just reg. water !!
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 08/26/19 03:24 PM

If it is a built in charger or one that charges as needed then you should be ok. For 98 cents a gallon, I would use distilled water. Keep water level above the plates and below the fill tube. This is coming from a golf course superintendent that has dealt with deep cycle batteries for 45+ years.

SE Kansas grass grower
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 08/26/19 10:55 PM

Check those wet cell batteries monthly and add distilled water as needed.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 08/28/19 08:25 PM

Maintain fluid level with distilled water. You want a battery charger that will go into maintenance mode once full charge is reached.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 09/01/19 04:52 PM

Use distilled water only, it doesn't have any impurities because of the distilling process... Other waters have impurities that will stick to the lead plates and shorten the battery life... Dan
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 09/05/19 02:30 PM

I keep mine under constant charge maintenance. I've found that the trolling motor batteries (2 in my case) need water added about every 2 months. I've never had to add water to the cranking battery.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 09/05/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
I keep mine under constant charge maintenance. I've found that the trolling motor batteries (2 in my case) need water added about every 2 months. I've never had to add water to the cranking battery.

my experience has been the opposite, but just shows that you should check them all every month or two
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Batteries (Chargeing and Water question) - 09/06/19 02:21 AM

Keep the plates under water. Use distilled water and do not overfill. Keep batteries charged, especially right after returning from fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum