Texas Fishing Forum

Rookie Question on Fish Finders

Posted By: Jake Blood

Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 12:18 AM

First, I did try to research if the topics have been brought up before, but I cannot find anything on the three specific fish finders I have.I have the following fish finders. Raymarine Dragonfly-4, Lowrance Hook 3x, and the Lowrance Mark-4x DSI. Currently I have the Lowrance Mark-4x DSI installed on my bass boat and use it to get the depth only. I am trying to improve my overall ability to catch fish, and have learned that not all "fish finders" do that. On the DSI, I do not see arches like everyone else describes... Maybe I have never been over fish?

Anyway, question is simple. IF you had to use one of the three to find fish (yes I know that finding structure and bottom contour help to do that, but i want to see fish and fish schools) which of these would you suggest?

Attached picture $_1.jpg
Attached picture downvision.png
Attached picture s-l640.jpg
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 12:39 AM

The one on the right will do arches since a fish will be within its sonar coverage long enough have it recorded that way.
That does not happen with the Imaging technology.

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.
The one on the right will do arches since a fish will be within its sonar coverage long enough have it recorded that way.

Thank you for responding, so the first two will not show arches? So they are 100% for structure?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jake Blood
Originally Posted by Wayne P.

Thank you for responding, so the first two will not show arches? So they are 100% for structure?

the first 2 will also show fish it just wont be in the arch form as Wayne stated. The fish will be somewhat look like dots or steaks cause those units are down imaging units (each brand has its own name for the high frequency down viewing sonar). and the down imaging beam is wide and thin and not a cone shape like 2d sonar that produces arches. The higher the frequency the better the detail.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 01:23 AM

here is a combo from hummingbird units. You can see the difference from 2d and down image. The fish in the down image are long streaks due to the slow boat movement

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 08/05/19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 44 Diesel
here is a combo from hummingbird units. You can see the difference from 2d and down image. The fish in the down image are long streaks due to the slow boat movement

Never seen anything like that on any of mine... maybe I don't have them adjusted right. Ugh, I don't know anything about them... the learning curve is real right now...

Thanks for the information though, much appreciated.
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Rookie Question on Fish Finders - 09/12/19 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Blood
Originally Posted by 44 Diesel

Never seen anything like that on any of mine... maybe I don't have them adjusted right. Ugh, I don't know anything about them... the learning curve is real right now...

Thanks for the information though, much appreciated.

I am right there with you. I still have to set mine up
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum