Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin Striker 9sv ActiveCaptain issues

Posted By: jfcmoore

Garmin Striker 9sv ActiveCaptain issues - 02/06/19 12:48 AM

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I recently purchased the Garmin Striker9SV. Part of the reason I selected this unit was the connectivity function which would allow me to see notifications while on the water (I'm very hard of hearing and hate to wear my hearing aids while fishing due to wind). Garmin uses the app ActiveCaptain to create a wireless network that your mobile connects to. It also needs the mobile to connect to Bluetooth.

I can connect to the wifi without major issue although it periodically disconnects on it's own. The Bluetooth is where I believe the biggest problem is. I have a Samsung S8+ (Android) and use it to connect via Bluetooth to a variety of other hardware without any issues whatsoever. On my phone, I show all the devices I have paired it with, which includes the Garmin. However, the Garmin refuses to connect. When other devices connect the phone indicate the connection has been made by turning the item blue in the paired list. I have yet to see this happen in spite of repeated unpairings and repairings. The only way I can get the Garmin to show notifications (messages on the Garmin regarding texts and emails) is to reset the app. This works for a few minutes and then it is gone again.

I have called Garmin twice. While I was able to get through to someone both times fairly easily, the "techinician" really did not know much about notification issues. In fact, even these folks stated the ActiveCaptain app is a source of many problems for them.
I have left two emails on Garmins android help email address but received no response.

I would return the unit (Amazon) except that I really like it as a plotter. The mapping feature is outstanding for my use since I primarily fish my local lake and the rivers that feed it and have no need for extensive mapping options of other areas. All other aspects of the 9SV are great and worth keeping the unit anyway.

So, has anyone else had issues with connectivity and notifications on the Garmin 9SV, specifically with an android-based mobile.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jim
Posted By: Todd Driscoll

Re: Garmin Striker 9sv ActiveCaptain issues - 02/07/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jfcmoore
I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I recently purchased the Garmin Striker9SV. Part of the reason I selected this unit was the connectivity function which would allow me to see notifications while on the water (I'm very hard of hearing and hate to wear my hearing aids while fishing due to wind). Garmin uses the app ActiveCaptain to create a wireless network that your mobile connects to. It also needs the mobile to connect to Bluetooth.

I can connect to the wifi without major issue although it periodically disconnects on it's own. The Bluetooth is where I believe the biggest problem is. I have a Samsung S8+ (Android) and use it to connect via Bluetooth to a variety of other hardware without any issues whatsoever. On my phone, I show all the devices I have paired it with, which includes the Garmin. However, the Garmin refuses to connect. When other devices connect the phone indicate the connection has been made by turning the item blue in the paired list. I have yet to see this happen in spite of repeated unpairings and repairings. The only way I can get the Garmin to show notifications (messages on the Garmin regarding texts and emails) is to reset the app. This works for a few minutes and then it is gone again.

I have called Garmin twice. While I was able to get through to someone both times fairly easily, the "techinician" really did not know much about notification issues. In fact, even these folks stated the ActiveCaptain app is a source of many problems for them.
I have left two emails on Garmins android help email address but received no response.

I would return the unit (Amazon) except that I really like it as a plotter. The mapping feature is outstanding for my use since I primarily fish my local lake and the rivers that feed it and have no need for extensive mapping options of other areas. All other aspects of the 9SV are great and worth keeping the unit anyway.

So, has anyone else had issues with connectivity and notifications on the Garmin 9SV, specifically with an android-based mobile.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jim

I forwarded this to a Support Supervisor. His team is now seeing if they can replicate your specific scenario and issue. I will reach out when additional info is available.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Garmin Striker 9sv ActiveCaptain issues - 02/10/19 02:03 AM

I have had the same issues on several other 93sv but have not had one issue with my 1022.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum