Texas Fishing Forum

Charging an AGM Battery

Posted By: BoomBoom

Charging an AGM Battery - 02/04/19 01:04 AM

I replaced a lead-acid battery with a Duracell AGM and hooked it up to my on-board charger. I have a Minn Kota Precision charger and when I got home, I realized I didn't change the battery type to AGM. The default setting is lead-acid. Will this setting harm the AGM battery???? I've googled the subject and it seems like some articles indicate its no big deal and other articles say you could damage the battery. Any thoughts? I will change the setting tomorrow, when I head back out to the lake but was wondering if I will cause damage to the battery in that short amount of time.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/04/19 01:50 AM

No, it will be fine since it was short term

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/04/19 02:05 AM

Thanks for the response, appreciate it!
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/04/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 44 Diesel
No, it will be fine since it was short term

Completely agree. And this is what I do for a living..
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/05/19 03:33 PM

Are your T/M batteries AGM's?

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/05/19 03:54 PM

Yep, trolling motor batteries are AGM. Everything is fine. I changed the setting on the charger the next day.
Posted By: Jstdad

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/20/19 03:38 AM

How is the performance of your AGM’s for TM usage vs wet cell? Any noticeable life difference? I’ve used the DEKA 8a31dtm for a cranking battery and got 7 1/2 years out of my last one. Thinking of using this for all four batteries.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Charging an AGM Battery - 02/27/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jstdad
How is the performance of your AGM’s for TM usage vs wet cell? Any noticeable life difference? I’ve used the DEKA 8a31dtm for a cranking battery and got 7 1/2 years out of my last one. Thinking of using this for all four batteries.

I went from Wet cells to Optima Blue Tops. Glad I made the switch. At the end of a long windy day I could feel my batteries getting weaker and would end up on speed 8 or so at the end of the day (sun up to sun down).

Now my trolling motor stays on 5 all day with no noticeable decline. Now I understand once discharged they will go from full strength to nothing at all, but so far I haven’t experienced that.

Batteries are 3 years old and just replaced 1, but turns out I believe I have a bad bank on my charger and wasn’t a bad battery.

Depending on how long the remaining batteries last, I may try a different brand, but will stay with AGM.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum