Texas Fishing Forum

Boat trailer tongue help!

Posted By: Ckrum

Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/18/18 04:00 PM

I have a 1999 Triton Tr17 bass boat and my trailer coupler is wearing out. I would like to replace it but there is a problem. It is welded on to the tongue of the boat trailer.
Should I just take it to a trailer shop or replace the whole tongue? I’m confused. I’ve looked up and down on the internet but can’t find anything.

It’s 35 inches in total, 18 inches inside the trailer,
3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches of tongue

Thanks in advanced!

Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/18/18 04:19 PM

McGills Trailers & Props 972-436-7498 @ 894 Mill Street Lewisville Tx 75057.
It'll be right & not as expensive as you'd think. Quick in & out usually. Have them check the entire trailer while you're there. If its a tube trailer you may want to consider not spending ANY money on it & replace it with a c-channel trailer. I hate to say it, but, there may be a bunch of trailers for sale soon in Central Texas. I know several lost boats that were in slips in docks & all they have left IS the trailer. Insurance companies payoff but DONT want the trailers usually. It costs more to store & sell them than what they'll bring
Posted By: Ckrum

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/18/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
McGills Trailers & Props 972-436-7498 @ 894 Mill Street Lewisville Tx 75057.
It'll be right & not as expensive as you'd think. Quick in & out usually. Have them check the entire trailer while you're there. If its a tube trailer you may want to consider not spending ANY money on it & replace it with a c-channel trailer. I hate to say it, but, there may be a bunch of trailers for sale soon in Central Texas. I know several lost boats that were in slips in docks & all they have left IS the trailer. Insurance companies payoff but DONT want the trailers usually. It costs more to store & sell them than what they'll bring

That’s helps a lot. Appreciate it
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/18/18 11:40 PM

+ 100 on McGills Trailers & Props. They installed a new axle and springs on my Skeeter trailer. Was fast and did a great job.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/19/18 12:10 PM

+2 on Mcgill. Took a trashed axel to them 2 hours had a duplicate and very good price.
Johnny
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/19/18 12:33 PM

Another +1 on McGill. Good work, good prices.
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/19/18 03:46 PM

pm sent
Posted By: TR176

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/22/18 02:39 AM

McGill’s did mine. You will have to find matching paint on your own. Be there first there in am. They will also check bearings,races etc.
Posted By: ibfishinng

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/23/18 04:11 PM

Check and see if there is a nut under the hitch that can be tightened for a more secure fit. Some are made for adjustment.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Boat trailer tongue help! - 10/24/18 12:31 PM

Replace it with a Bulldog type hitch. Much easier to connect, especially if you are alone, and trouble free.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum