Texas Fishing Forum

What Cranking Amps

Posted By: Hittmanfish

What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 12:59 AM

I have a 1998 Mercury EFI 200HP and my cranking battery bit the dust on me. Does anyone know what cranking amps that I would need for this motor?

Thanks.

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 01:02 AM

Also, what cranking batteries do y'all recommend? I have Duracell group 31s for my trolling motor.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 02:18 AM

There are only a few battery makers so brand is not all that important. If you have the manual it will tell you if not then get like an 800-900CCA. That should suffice for an EFI.
Posted By: sll

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 11:29 AM

The higher the CCA the least issues you will have when it comes to a cranking battery.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 05:46 PM

And don't forget all the electronics that run off the cranking battery! I say 1000CCA

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/19/18 06:29 PM

That's what mine is currently and I'm thinking about just going with the same, since it seemed to do just fine.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 06:17 AM

Stick with as high Cranking Amps as possible. Group 31's to get more Reserve Capacity for more power draw from newer graphs. Its worth the little extra to fish without problems.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Stick with as high Cranking Amps as possible. Group 31's to get more Reserve Capacity for more power draw from newer graphs. Its worth the little extra to fish without problems.

I agree. Get the largest, highest capacity battery you can afford and fit. It eliminates so many other problems and worries and lets you concentrate on fishing and enjoying your trip. Don't forget maintenance.

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 01:23 PM

What group 31 battery would you recommend that has high enough CCA? And doesn't cost $300+ cry
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 02:46 PM

I just got an Interstate with 1000cca at Walmart the other day for $74 to replace the 5 year old battery that came with the boat. I have 2 Interstates for my tolling batteries that are 3 years old now and still work fine.

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 03:38 PM

How much reserve capacity was on that one? Sounds like you got a good deal.

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 04:27 PM

Leaning towards this one from NAPA Auto:
NAPA Auto
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Hittmanfish
NAPA Auto

This looks like an automotive battery and may not stand up to the abuse of marine use. I have a 31 Series Duracell for my cranking battery. It has the needed amps and RC

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbass1
Originally Posted By: Hittmanfish
NAPA Auto

This looks like an automotive battery and may not stand up to the abuse of marine use. I have a 31 Series Duracell for my cranking battery. It has the needed amps and RC

It's a commercial battery and from what I've read it seems like it should hold up to the wear and tear of a marine environment. This is made by the same company that makes Duracell (they look exactly the same except the stick is different. If your Duracell has the same ratings, then it's probably the same battery as well.
Posted By: sll

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/21/18 08:27 PM

East Penn makes NAPA batteries (same as DEKA)......they are good batteries. But you need to research that one a little more as the marine batteries are designed to withstand being charged and drained completely at regular intervals. Not sure the commercial batteries can take that very long.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: What Cranking Amps - 06/23/18 02:46 AM

I bought that same NAPA battery for my 250 ProXS. One of the moderators in the Mercury forum on BBC said that it should hold up fine and be a good battery. PLUS it has an 18 month free replacement warranty and 18 mo pro rated warranty. Mine has held up just fine so far.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum