Texas Fishing Forum

Using HB units overseas?

Posted By: Mudman63

Using HB units overseas? - 06/03/18 10:38 PM

Looking at a possible job transfer to Singapore for a couple of years, will the Humminbird Helix 12 acquire GPS signals outside the US?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/04/18 05:09 AM

My cell phone gps does so I would think that the HB would also.

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/05/18 09:59 PM

Thanks, you make a great point.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/05/18 11:25 PM

Won't have accurate time. Look at the time zone choices in the setup menu.
I think Singapore is UTC+8

Domestic models go from UTC-4 to UTC-10. Texas is UTC-6

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/06/18 02:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Wayne.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/06/18 02:53 PM

Not sure about Humminbird, but Lowrance sells two differnt model units, an Americas model and a ROW (Rest Of the World) model. It's something to do with European CE certifications. Lowrance Americas units are geofenced in a sense. If you take an Americas unit past a defined meridian (30 degrees West longitude or the International dateline to the East) they go into a limited feature mode. As well as the time offset limitations which Wayne mentioned, the limited features mode functions with English language and imperial measures only -all non-English languages and metric measures are eliminated. There is also a flashing reminder at the bottom of the screen that indicates that the unit is operating outside of its intended area of use.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/07/18 03:58 PM

Hey Mudman. Your unit will work great. I have been in contact with clients in Ireland, Scotland, Israel, and Bulgaria that are operating Helix on their boats. They report that their units work fine!
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Using HB units overseas? - 06/08/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
Hey Mudman. Your unit will work great. I have been in contact with clients in Ireland, Scotland, Israel, and Bulgaria that are operating Helix on their boats. They report that their units work fine!

Are they using international units or US units?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum