Texas Fishing Forum

Helix 9 question

Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Helix 9 question - 05/21/18 04:56 PM

Love the unit. But the sonar does not show water depth when running the boat at higher speeds. If I want to see the water depth, I have to slow down to under 10 mph. Is this normal for this unit?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/21/18 06:09 PM

Your transducer has to stay below pad for the transducer to work. When it comes out of the water, it can't send and receive "pings". I'll bet, that when you are on pad and cruising, that the transducer is no longer in the water.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/21/18 09:05 PM

What Steez said. My last boat would read no matter what speed. This boat rides on a smaller pad and the transducer stops reading for me after 8-10 mph. It will depend on what type of boat you have as well as how you mounted the transducer. You could always mount a shoot thru transducer inside the bilge area and get a Y cable so that you can get 2D readings at any speed.

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/22/18 01:24 PM

Thanks. The next time I'm out I'll have someone carefully peak over the back and see if it is above the water line. I thought I had it low enough on the transom that it wouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/23/18 05:02 PM

You your position on the chart with a map card like Navionics to know the general depth of a lake. You typically will not get a real depth on the sonar at speeds over about 6 mph.

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/23/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
You your position on the chart with a map card like Navionics to know the general depth of a lake. You typically will get get a real depth on the sonar at speeds over about 6 mph.

I have the card and slow down when I venture into the "blue" part (10' or less).
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/23/18 07:38 PM

If your boat is fiberglass, You can buy the y cable and a shoot thru hull transducer and you will get readings while on plane. Your si transducer would still stay exactly where it is at
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Helix 9 question - 05/23/18 07:43 PM

These are the parts you'll need

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/a...-splitter-cable

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/a...beam-transducer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum