Texas Fishing Forum

question on making my own jigs

Posted By: Madatu

question on making my own jigs - 04/30/18 09:10 PM

i been buying jigs from a old man and he is on hospice and not going to be alive much longer. None of his family are going to make his jigs and sell them. they are similar to the ones with round heads. it is not copy righted and i am not interested in doing that. i am wanting to make my own as needed. i am looking for a way to get a aluminum mold made so that i can make them. i already have the hooks, feathers and powder coat paint and more lead that i know what to do with. can anyone advise me of what to do. I been reading up some today. i found a website that sells a blank mold. They said to take it to a machine shop and have it modified to fit. From what i heard that is pricey. Are there other options out there that i don't know about?
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: question on making my own jigs - 05/01/18 11:31 AM

Collins custom molds will make you a mold. More expensive than a do it mold. But you can send them a lure and they will make one and they are very nice molds. They will retain the rights after they make the mold and offer it to the
public. Just google collins custom molds.
Johnny
Posted By: texboxer

Re: question on making my own jigs - 05/02/18 03:52 AM

If they are not going to use the mold, why not just buy the mold from them? Or am I off base and not understanding the situation?
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: question on making my own jigs - 05/02/18 02:33 PM

They offer the same mold they made for you to retail. The computer setup to make one is expensive. So after they program to make the 1st one it is much cheaper to make them after that.Cost each if you made 1 car or 100,000.
Johnny
Posted By: Madatu

Re: question on making my own jigs - 05/02/18 04:15 PM

Well the family is stress and i dont feel comfortable asking for his mold. He is a retired fishing guide.
Posted By: texboxer

Re: question on making my own jigs - 05/02/18 05:26 PM

I understand that. We are going through the very same thing right now with my wife's uncle. They invited us over 2 weeks ago to rifle through all his stuff and pick what we wanted to buy. I bought many things from him. Last night my wife's cousin came over and gave us tons of stuff. Everything from propane heaters to molds to grilling stuff. They are about to have an estate sale and wanted what they considered his important things to go to family and friends that would really use and take care of his belongings. If they knew how much those molds meant to you, they would probably very happy knowing you got them. Just a thought to ponder on. I do realize there's a difference in our situations. I had never met my wife's uncle, but he knew I loved grilling, fishing, and guns. They did contact us.
But someone else will ask the for those molds sooner or later.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum