Texas Fishing Forum

Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth

Posted By: Benj

Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/19/18 09:15 AM

I have a helix 10 G2N with mega transducer; looking for recommendations for best placement of transducer. I'm losing depth readings and picking up turbulence at low 8mph with traditional sonar and chart displayed. The boat is a 2015 G3.

Here is photo of current installation. Thanks in advance for your willingness to help.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/19/18 01:04 PM

Most sonar fall off at 5 mph. If you are still getting correct info at 5 mph, everything is correct.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/19/18 03:17 PM

Hey Ben, on my G3 Angler, if I drop my transducer where you have yours I get a rooster tail spray on my engine cowling but I get depth readings up to 45-49mph. When I raise the transducer up a 1/8" the rooster tail is gone but so is my depth reading over 8mph. I to have the poly plate where I can make adjustments to the transducer. I would recommend you experiment with moving the transducer around.
Being we have an aluminum boat and the traditional in-hull transducer will not work, I simply have my electronics on full view chart and watch the depth contour to keep me safe when traveling across the water at high speeds.
I have been looking at the following (link) transducer but am skeptical... http://www.radarsonics.com/AlumaDucer.htm I may order one and try it on my boat as an alternative for our aluminum boat customers wanting an in-hull transducer if it is proven to be worthy.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/19/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Hey Ben, on my G3 Angler, if I drop my transducer where you have yours I get a rooster tail spray on my engine cowling but I get depth readings up to 45-49mph. When I raise the transducer up a 1/8" the rooster tail is gone but so is my depth reading over 8mph. I to have the poly plate where I can make adjustments to the transducer. I would recommend you experiment with moving the transducer around.
Being we have an aluminum boat and the traditional in-hull transducer will not work, I simply have my electronics on full view chart and watch the depth contour to keep me safe when traveling across the water at high speeds.
I have been looking at the following (link) transducer but am skeptical... http://www.radarsonics.com/AlumaDucer.htm I may order one and try it on my boat as an alternative for our aluminum boat customers wanting an in-hull transducer if it is proven to be worthy.

The Alumaducer works great if installed properly in a hull that is not too thick and/or has a bottom that is smooth with no dents or rivets forward of it. Check the specs.

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/20/18 04:43 AM

Thanks very much! I will install a 2D transducer on the left side of the transcam and see what happens.

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/29/18 06:28 AM

Installed the 2D High speed transducer; still losing depth. Any reviews on the alumaducer? I sent an email to G3 customer service and got very little support from their technician manager. I'm sure that the design of the bottom of my boat is what is causing the problem.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Mega Transducer Placement on G3 Boat Losing depth - 04/29/18 07:38 AM

Looks like a turbulance factory from the pics Id move it towards the motor an inch. thats what that board is for .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum