Texas Fishing Forum

Best Trolling motor Battery???

Posted By: Fishbonz

Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/07/18 07:43 PM

HERE`S ONE FOR YA! I want to run a 50lb thrust troll motor on my little one man bass buster type boat in conjunction with a Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 touch unit.My current EverStart Marine 24DC-6 series battery prove`s no match for this combination after about say an hour on the water.MAN TALK ABOUT UP A CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE!! SURE GLAD I HAD ONE! So my question is what size battery would be best suited for this application? HUH Anybody?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/07/18 09:39 PM

I'd keep the one and run the gen 2 off it. Then I'd get something with 180-200 Reserve Capacity and plan to fish all day.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/08/18 01:44 AM

I have used the everstart batteries and would be right now but the boat came with another brand. How old and well maintained is the battery? You have to keep them charged and put them back on the charger immediately after use. How old is your trolling motor? If it is older then it probably isn't very efficient compared to newer ones but still you shouldn't have been dead in an hour.

Check your battery to see if it is going out and think about replacing with a larger series for more capacity.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/08/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I have used the everstart batteries and would be right now but the boat came with another brand. How old and well maintained is the battery? You have to keep them charged and put them back on the charger immediately after use. How old is your trolling motor? If it is older then it probably isn't very efficient compared to newer ones but still you shouldn't have been dead in an hour.

Check your battery to see if it is going out and think about replacing with a larger series for more capacity.
It was just barely creepin along it was`nt totally dead but sorta on it`s last leg.I`ve had it for over 4 years but I keep it charged with a smart charger when I`m not using it.I know it`s the HDS unit that causing it to drain down so rapidly that`s why I`m asking for suggestions for a more powerful battery.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/08/18 03:47 AM

4 Interstate group 31's had 4 G31 Everstarts but they don't make the 31 anymore, I run 2 hds 8's all day and 101 ipilot and never a problem check your wiring ga. I use 6ga on ipilot and 10 on graphs since the rewire never any issues. Also much better performance.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Best Trolling motor Battery??? - 04/08/18 04:15 AM

Turn your backlight down on screen. This will save a noticeable amount of draw from battery.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum