Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip

Posted By: Nwn

Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip - 04/02/18 07:42 AM

Beware for now. Interesting. First outing I popped shaft with Ulterx I Pilot 112 on a stump and broke the shaft running at a 3. All I heard was crack and saw it happening real-time. It bent quite a bit. Sick....Installer and Minkotta fixed but out a whole day of fishing. Looks as if in the the shallows for now till they get this fixed some how run shaft shallow to keep from hitting any stumps. no recoil. Very disappointed. Scary. First outing and dead in the water. Cost me a whole trip. Loaded up and went home.That happened few days ago. I am calling the company tomorrow. I did get fixed but thats not issue. I fish and in a lot of stumps. So this will be interesting to find out where this goes. My heart sunk when this happened. Fixed for now. Just wanted to add this bit out there. People I worked with meaning reseller were really good. This is a Manufacturer problem. Don't want to be broke down all the time. Glad I kept my Fortrex 112. Unless they get this fixed might go back.Reading other info out there today and happened to lots of others too. Have the info. Only way I can see around for now is in the shallows run where you can see motor. Looks as if the longer it runs and boat has any momentum your going to break off. Rod might be tougher shorter and easeir to see. It is a problem. Don't know where this is going.Did not know this. If you have one these they don't have spring recoil like the old so be careful. I am reaching out to see what they are going to do. Not Good. Just letting you guys know.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip - 04/02/18 12:05 PM

I saw one at the repair facility the other day with the shaft shattered. I believe it is the same shaft that the terrors uses. I’ve used that for years and never had a problem and I have hit a lot of stumps. I don’t drive it fast in stumps. Other than just an occasional weak shaft, I can only imagine that people are in too much of a hurry and going too fast. I know that some break but it doesn’t seem to be a majority at least not that I hear about.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip - 04/02/18 01:54 PM

I believe shafts have a lifetime free repair. Just take it in and they fix it for free.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip - 04/02/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
I believe shafts have a lifetime free repair. Just take it in and they fix it for free.

The shaft itself it warranted to the original purchaser for life, but the labor to replace it once the motor is outside of the standard 2 year warranty period is not.
Posted By: Nwn

Re: Ultrex 112 i pilot shaft breaks.First trip - 04/04/18 05:29 AM

Thanks to the people so far on this Ultrex subject.

Still want more feedback on Ultrex 112 if anyone can add their experiences so far and how long they have had and as well problems plus input. Plus or negatives.

I have an idea to help with re-coil problem that can be retrofitted to current design to help with the problem I'm passing by manufacture to see what their take is. If they see it a benefit. To less shaft replacements and more fishermen staying in water would help everyone.

Yes minkota has lifetime replacement but want on the water. Not in shop. Most shops two to four weeks back logged. Being warranty will have to go through shop I would think. The Fortrex 112 is a beast. Still have complete unit.
The new Ultrex 112 is very cool. New to me. Still getting use to and learning as I go. Only one thing missing. Recoil. Some help with protecting that issue which needs looked at. Recoil.....My old unit would not have had that if broke all the time.

Appreciate anyone's good or bad input on this unit.
Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum