Texas Fishing Forum

boat covers

Posted By: Bonehead1

boat covers - 03/01/18 05:50 AM

I have a custom made canvas type cover that I purchased with my boat a few years back. Its well made and holding up nicely. I notice lately with all the dang rain it's apparently lost most of the water proofing. It appears that this a general overall condition, not leaking in a few spots. Is there something that could be applied to restore the waterproofing when the wet season slows down a bit?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: boat covers - 03/01/18 07:11 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Waterp...s+waterproofing

Never used it but there are others too that you can apply
Posted By: stapler101

Re: boat covers - 03/03/18 05:07 AM

Thompsons water seal for wood. It used to say on the label that it would treat fabric
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: boat covers - 06/22/18 05:40 AM

Just a heads up, I purchased and applied the star-brite product listed above in late March as soon as could find a dry few days.
The product really appeared to work well as far as waterproofing. However I soon discovered the fabric was much softer after the treatment. Before is was fairly stiff, rolled/unrolled easily when taken off or putting back on the boat. Post treatment it soon became a limp noodle.

This week the cover ripped in two different places. Now the cover is toast. Apparently the sun reacted with the product and really accelerated the degradation of the fabric. Before the treatment I was expecting to get at least another full year of service from the cover.

Not sure what I will do next time, but I would not recommend this product.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum