Texas Fishing Forum

Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5

Posted By: Nitro27

Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/23/18 08:36 PM

Running Lowrance electronics, looking for a good TM with spot lock. What’s your opinion?
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/23/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Nitro27
Running Lowrance electronics, looking for a good TM with spot lock. What’s your opinion?

Terrova has that also.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/24/18 12:36 AM

I run Lowrance also. I recently replaced the Terrova with MG Xi5. If I had HBirds, I would go MK, which I like better but the MG Xi5 anchor (spot lock) works great for me.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/24/18 12:37 AM

I LOVE my Ulterra. No more running to the bow to push and pull! Works especially well if you have others on the boat and don't want to have to push your way to the front through a crowd.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/24/18 03:45 PM

Love my Ultrex
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/24/18 11:56 PM

If all you are interested in is the "spot lock" anchor and not interested in following contour or the go-to feature then you can mix and match. Humminbird is to Minn Kota as MotorGuide is to Lowrance when linking together.

The style of trolling motor will be best selected from your style of fishing. My style of fishing is chasing crappie. I will fish bridge pilings, standing, and submerged timber, and open water structure such as brush piles etc...
I rely on a foot control trolling motor as it gives me much more control and faster response over the electric-steer trolling motors like the Minn Kota Terrova, Ulterra, Powerdrive, and the MotorGuide xi5. I have selected the Minn Kota Ultrex as it has the ease of power steering "electric steer" in the foot pedal. I can power fish a field of timber hitting 500 trees in an hour with ease. If I catch a fish or have to break off and re-tie I simply hit the anchor and handle business. If I am fishing open water structure I hit anchor and fish. If you bass fish I would also recommend you take a look at the Minn Kota Ultrex.

If your style of fishing is the main lake then I would recommend looking at the Minn Kota Terrova, Ulterra, Powerdrive, and the MotorGuide xi5.

Do not get me wrong. The other motors can be used in my style of fishing that I have explained and will work fine, however, they, in my opinion, are not as productive.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/25/18 12:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. Gives me something to think about.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/26/18 01:49 PM

I love my Xi5 and would strongly recommend it to anyone! I would also recommend the LiftSaver to mount the Xi5 (or the MK Terrova, Ulterra, Riptide) which addresses all the issues with mounting these electric steer trolling motors.

Check out the LiftSaver at www.liftsavertmmount.com and shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Ulterra, Ultrex, or Xi5 - 02/27/18 10:08 PM

I went with the Ulterra because I didn't want to have to reach for the head unit on the Terrova or MG in rough water. The stow and deploy are a blessing, I use to use a hand controlled TM and in rough water reaching to adjust the direction at times was an adventure. Also, I don't have a recessed TM tray so I didn't want the Ultrex foot pedal on the deck and the Ulterra's fit my boat and style better. But either MK are great, love the spot lock as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum