Texas Fishing Forum

How to fasten ram mount on bow?

Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

How to fasten ram mount on bow? - 12/02/17 08:15 PM

Installing helix 7 on ram mount. Have no access to bottom side of location to use bolts/nuts. Can I screw directly to glass? Strong enough?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: How to fasten ram mount on bow? - 12/03/17 12:44 PM

Yes you can. I've done it several times. Use stainless steel screws so they won't rust. Be advised that if you have to remove it the holes may become worn and larger screws may be needed for reinstallation.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: How to fasten ram mount on bow? - 12/05/17 01:26 AM

Chamfer the holes so that the screw threads don't spider crack the gelcoat.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: How to fasten ram mount on bow? - 12/05/17 03:49 AM

Put silicon on threads so they want back out
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: How to fasten ram mount on bow? - 12/05/17 04:05 AM

I can't imagine that silicone will do a thing for fastener retention in a blind hole in fiberglass. Products such as blue threadlock have a much better chance of making a difference. It's the wedge-effect fit of the screw threads binding in the hole that holds it in place. I will acknowledge that a dab of silicone might be good for sealing the hole so that water doesn't get between the lamination layers via the drilled hole.

I always try to have at least one fastener through-bolt the ball base. I use e-locks on the RAM arm and the graph gimbal. Without that through-bolt, someone with a screw-gun can walk away with the whole setup in less than 60 seconds - RAM mount, unit and all!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum