Texas Fishing Forum

Side scanning sonar

Posted By: chas1

Side scanning sonar - 11/18/17 01:57 AM

I’m looking for an affordable side scan Humminbird, models etc..any suggestions appreciated .
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/18/17 02:13 AM

Humminbird has Side Imaging. The current unit series with Side Imaging are the Helix models with SI in their model names and the SOLIX series with SI in their names.

5”, 7”, 9”, 10”, 12”, and 15” displays.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/18/17 02:47 AM

I have some great deals on the G1 models. I also have in stock the G2n Mega models. Feel free to give me a call direct as I would be happy to talk with you or shoot me a PM as well.

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/19/17 01:43 PM

Will i be able to see brush piles under piers with side imaging, or is that asking too much detail.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/19/17 02:56 PM

For that purpose I would check out the new Mega imaging models because I have not been too very impressed with the original helix SI quality as far as being able to pick apart brush that I put out. The Mega imaging looks much better and supposedly 3 times clearer and just a little extra money. The original works good for standing timber and seeing if crappie are hanging out but smaller brush piles may be a little harder to see. The extra little bit of money it costs to get the newer mega imaging models should be well worth the investment. Just my 2 cents....
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/19/17 04:52 PM

I have about convinced myself the image quality is directly proportional to the quality of the transducer you got with the package. The last 688 SI Bird I had produced twice the resolution of my newer and supposedly more powerful Lowrance Gen III but when connected to a different transducer the image high resolution went away. I sold it with the good transducer and threw the old on in the trash. Therefore I am convinced that all transducers are not created equal even of the same brand. Typical of mass produced products. Hit or miss thing.
Sonar on the Lowrance is outstanding however.
Sandies on the bottom in front of Murrel park
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/19/17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: chas1
Will i be able to see brush piles under piers with side imaging, or is that asking too much detail.

Yes. Have to get the settings correct and it is a little harder for me under piers than in open water because of the vertical beams but yes you can get very good quality pictures with the 1st generation humminbirds if they are adjusted properly. I must have deleted my pictures of brush piles but on 800, you could see every tiny branch in great detail as well as the fish that were on it. You really want as large of a screen as you can afford because the larger the screen the better you'll be able to see the details. The Mega will be better but it's hard to beat the price of the Gen 1s right now.

Re: Side scanning sonar - 11/19/17 08:16 PM

So what’s the best price you can get into Mega unit ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum