Texas Fishing Forum

Cat ch on new fly pattern

Posted By: Bruce Mc

Cat ch on new fly pattern - 09/26/17 01:43 AM

I've been messing around with fly patterns that look like small bream.

I was finally able to get free for a few hours Saturday morning and try it out at a local pond. My first opportunity to get out since Harvey blew through. This was the first Bass that liked the fly.

The next one kinda caught me off guard. I thought at first I had hung up on something. I guess Cats like small bream too.

One of the things that have really surprised about fly fishing is the number of catfish I hook up with using a streamer fly. This big Blue had my 8 weight doubled over.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 09/26/17 12:10 PM

Yeah, there's a whole section in one of Doug Stange's books abut fly fishing for catfish.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 09/26/17 01:03 PM

Last time out on the lake, I did pretty well with an olive over white small deer hair clouser on the catfish. Seems like I do better with them by removing all or almost all of the flash. I've caught them on buggers and crawfish patterns, too. They are good fighters.

Back when I set trot lines for catfish, a small bream was the best bait to use.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 09/26/17 04:00 PM

Great job Bruce. Some of the biggest bass I've hooked in ponds were on bluegill colored crank baits. If I were looking for a pond pattern to catch big bass that would definitely be on top of my list. thumb
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 10/03/17 03:14 AM

That is a good-looking fly! I like your field test!
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 10/04/17 10:01 PM

J-MOE, funny you should mention bream pattern crank baits, I had an old bream pattern Heddon Sonic lure in mind when I made up this fly.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cat ch on new fly pattern - 10/05/17 04:04 AM

Nice fly and nice results! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum