Texas Fishing Forum

Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing

Posted By: Rebecca LiLy

Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/28/17 07:04 AM

Want to start out strong and fruitful in fly fishing? Maybe you’ve already started but haven’t caught a thing? If you already have, perhaps you want to improve your game and get to catch the bigger ones this time? Do you feel as if your angling skills for fly fishing aren’t that sharp? Maybe this will help!

THE TRICK TO FLY FISHING

As you may or may not know, fly fishing is not your usual “drop your bait and catch those fish” type of angling. For beginners not used to casting a “fly” or the near-weightless lures for this kind of fishing, it’s difficult to reach a few meters in front of you! First, here are things to keep in mind when you’re fly fishing:

• Lures/bait (fly) are different; they are very light and sensitive
• Lines used are unique, “weighted” lines to help in casting
• Reels and reeling in requires technique different from regular fishing
• Choice of cast, type of fly, and method of reeling are all the main factors

TIPS AND TRICKS

Shooting and Casting

Sure it’s cool to watch an experienced fly fisher in action – the fluid motion, the efficient throw, the perfect landing – it’s a sight to behold!

- Learning how to shoot the line well is a great trick to reach difficult long-distance hiding places for fish. Master this first trick to reach farther and land your fly right under the giant fish’s habitat.

Dressing your Fly

Customized weightless lures known as a “fly” come in many forms and sizes. Picking the right one that matches the insects around the area where you fish will be your best bet in catching mature fish that are smart enough not to go for the poorly chosen bait.

- “Dressing your fly” involves applying a solution that will keep the fly afloat by repelling water absorption – a floating fly is called a “dry fly” and stays on the water’s surface, resembling a fully grown insect that bigger fish prefer over a “wet fly” that used underwater.

Luring in the fish

Once your line and bait are out there, as we said before, reeling is different and needs technique. Unlike other kinds of fishing that only require you to wait for fish to bite, you also need to move your fly around in the water to make it look natural!

- Move your fly like an insect does to make it appear as natural as possible.

Source:

https://www.takemefishing.org/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-basics/
http://thatfishing.com/fly-fishing-tips/
http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/how-to-articles/trout-fishing-articles/
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/28/17 11:37 AM

I'm fairly confident that "Rebecca LiLy" is that guy in the photograph.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/28/17 01:08 PM

popcorn
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/28/17 02:22 PM

Flies are weightless lures, huh?

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/29/17 04:14 AM

Not me smile
Posted By: ezduzit

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/29/17 06:17 PM

This is where i learned all my tricks. Best fly setup ever...a hopper with a hopper dropper, with a dropper hopper. Thats three hoppers. LOL... But the best trick I learned was that you really have to SNAP IT! If when you cast you dont hear the SNAP, you're not doing it right roflmao
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/29/17 11:45 PM

I can relate to dropping the fly and not being able to find it. I was fishing a hopper/dropper Wednesday when I got a terrible tangle. I snipped the dropper off (Black with white rubber legs) and set it down on low mowed ST Augustine grass. I made sure it was very visible. I turned, tied on some new dropper line, turned back and the fly had disappeared. Searched for 15 minutes and never found it.
Posted By: ezduzit

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/30/17 01:01 AM

lol..."cause it's 89 cents, that's why I'm looking for it, cause it cost 89 cents!" yah, some of those flies can vanish into thin air, hah!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/30/17 04:14 AM

spam
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 07/31/17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebecca LiLy
[Once your line and bait are out there, as we said before, reeling is different and needs technique. Unlike other kinds of fishing that only require you to wait for fish to bite, you also need to move your fly around in the water to make it look natural!

Rebecca, could you please expound on both the reeling technique and the fly movement?

I use a general wiggle with my flies, but feel my cadence is all off. I typically use a 1,2,2,1,2,2 type cadence with my wiggle, but think that might be *too* wiggly. It seems to hamper my dangle, but I haven't a clue as to how to correct it.

Also, with the reeling technique, I try to keep a circular motion. I do it with my wrist, but kind of with my fingers, too. I roll over the top then bring it back in. I actually will say that under my breath as I reel..."bring it back in". I say that with each rotation. But under my breath. Anything you could offer that would increase my reeling speed and knob manipulation would be appreciated.

Thanks for such a well written contribution. Don't let any haters get you down - people hate to be "out-experted".

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 01:05 PM

hooked

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
hooked

Was my sarcasm too veiled?

I tried. Gimme some credit for effort at least.

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 01:17 PM

Pretty sure this is a bot, but I was hoping I could snag whoever posted the "not me" follow up.

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 03:18 PM

Yeah, you did have me going Floon Swenson.

Nothing like a little fakery.

Just love "her" bio - "Hi, everyone! My name’s Rebecca, and I just love to write and to fish! My friends call me “Becca.” I’m 22 years old, single, and am currently residing in New York working at an office. With some free time I always give in to my passions, and that’s why I started creating blogs and a website about fishing, it's two of my most favorite things!" And if you want some real generic stuff, check out the twitter feed - https://twitter.com/rebecca_lilyAG .

What's not to believe?

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 04:06 PM

I only share my personal experiences, hope you do not misunderstand, I am not bot

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 04:07 PM

Thank you for understanding me
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 05:17 PM

Not me smile

You came to the Sunfish section and posted an article on Yellow Perch hoping people would click on your blog.

Have you tried THF- Maybe our Brothers there want to catch Yellow Perch on a Canadian Moose hunt for dinner, I would certainly ask, couldn't hurt to spread your tips to all the outdoor forums in Texas. I think Dr. Quinn Medicine Women has an outdoor sub-section, might be worth you checking out.

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 07:49 PM

This is getting bizarre. A Belgian malinois that can type! Kidding ... heck of a dog. I have a friend here in Denton who has two different types of malinois.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/02/17 08:38 PM

In soviet Russia flies fish you!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/04/17 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Not me smile

You came to the Sunfish section and posted an article on Yellow Perch hoping people would click on your blog.

Have you tried THF- Maybe our Brothers there want to catch Yellow Perch on a Canadian Moose hunt for dinner, I would certainly ask, couldn't hurt to spread your tips to all the outdoor forums in Texas. I think Dr. Quinn Medicine Women has an outdoor sub-section, might be worth you checking out.

rotflmao dr. Quinn reruns were just on the 900 I just past that nothing was on to watch haha
Posted By: Mateo Clemente

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/04/17 04:22 PM

If I give Rebecca my bank account number, do you think she will wire me some money she got on an overage guide fee? Something like:

"Hey Mister Clemente, I see you very much in the fly fishing sport. I have great excitement to read to you that I soon past week guided a fly fish time with diplomats great of importance. The great importance diplomats by chance of much good luck paid me 2 million of american dollars. very sad, I cannot claim the money for it is a large amount for my banking. because you I trust from many fly fishing pictures and readings on your post, I reach for you to help me and I will grant you a very large payment"

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/07/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Mateo Clemente
"Hey Mister Clemente, I see you very much in the fly fishing sport. I have great excitement to read to you that I soon past week guided a fly fish time with diplomats great of importance. The great importance diplomats by chance of much good luck paid me 2 million of american dollars. very sad, I cannot claim the money for it is a large amount for my banking. because you I trust from many fly fishing pictures and readings on your post, I reach for you to help me and I will grant you a very large payment"

Pure gold!

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/07/17 03:26 PM

If anybody was impressed by this masterpiece of spam, you can get some spam of your own from whoever this is. Rebecca is a "native English writer" from Malaysia, apparently. Don't let the stock photo and generic content fool you...she graduated from the prestigious "University of Economics" right here in the good ol' USA, so she's probably pretty legit.

https://www.fiverr.com/rebecca_lily

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/07/17 03:29 PM

And if you need more royalty-free stock images of Rebecca to go along with your newly created garbage spam, there's a whole series of them on this page you can use:

https://www.123rf.com/stock-photo/fisherwoman.html
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/07/17 04:02 PM

You say bot, I say true love.
Posted By: eatshadanddie

Re: Exciting Tips And Tricks To Help You Be The Best At Fly Fishing - 08/12/17 02:33 AM

Agree with Tx Fly this got really bizarre.

I quit The Drake board because of all the goofy-[censored] posts those doofusses (doofi?) would write when they were swilling whiskey and tokin' red bud...TFF members are all solid church-going types who are courteous and genteel and would never dream of spamming a serious BB like this one. Am I right?

Rebecca, don't bring that drivel up in here no mo, ok? i suspect you are the Antichrist (with props to Doc Holliday).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum