Texas Fishing Forum

Sulphur Creek, Lampasas

Posted By: mbarker68x

Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/27/17 03:20 AM

Well, after a day of packing up the house getting ready for closing. It's finally under contract so it looks like I will miss the get together n September. Back on subject, have been spending most of my free time prepping the house, showings etc... and not fishing. Couldn't take it any more. So with the wife and daughters already in VA I grabbed the 2wt and headed to what I call my home waters. Fishing was a little off at first, couldn't seem to get a solid take and probably had 15 or 20 hits before I finally brought a fish to hand.

As I was making my way back to the truck, made a few more casts before breaking the rod down and headed home. The last cast resulted in this personal best on my 2wt to date. Really need to start carrying mosething to measure with. Guessing 18-20 inches.

Posted By: Texjbq

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/27/17 04:40 PM

Great report, thanks for posting.

Quote:
I grabbed the 2wt and headed to what I call my home waters. Fishing was a little off at first, couldn't seem to get a solid take and probably had 15 or 20 hits before I finally brought a fish to hand.

I've had the same issue with my 2 wt recently. I've found moving to a 10-12lb test flouro tippet helps big time. I think with those super light weight rods, if you have any stretch in your tippet the hooks just don't connect. I was fishing a 3X mono tippet and bringing maybe 15% of bites to hand. Changed to heavy fluoro and it went to about 80%.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/28/17 03:21 AM

Beautiful fish! Looking forward to seeing your posts from Virginia, you'll have your new home waters figured out in no time.
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/29/17 12:01 AM

We have a ranch just south of Lampasas in Burnet CO. in Dobeyville, and I have only fished Sulphur Creek once, but seeing these beauties, I'm certainly going to give it another try. Love the Sunfishes!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/31/17 02:35 AM

Mbarker great fish! What takes you to va? Don't be a stranger on here!!!!

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/31/17 03:49 AM

Well Robert, my wife followed me around the last 14 years of service with the Army. When I retired we came back to Texas because we still had the house here in Killeen. She wanted to go home to VA so I figured what the hell why not. So I'm following her around now, all three of my girls are there already, working and getting ready to start up school next week. so once I get everything packed up and moved will be joining if them . I did sort of disappear from this forum when I went to Honduras and Colorado didn't I? lol I'll try and do better this go around.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/31/17 03:24 PM

Safe travels on your move and good luck with the next phase of your life. I'm sure you'll find lots of fish to harass out east.

Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas - 07/31/17 06:18 PM

Thanks Mickfly, I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues finding fish to harass back east. I can't say it's a mistake, but I got my wife into fly fishing when I was in Colorado. She is already scouting out the hot spots with her dad.hasnt fished yet, but researching and scouting.she has her TFO 5wt CFR and my lanyard with a double sided box with all my trout and panfish flies that I emptied out of my pack to fill it up. Still working on filling up mine again, lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum